Thread: 9600 Pro showing as a 9600?

Thanks

9600 Pro showing as a 9600?

Hey,

I've got a Tyan G9600Pro but I'm slightly worried that it doesn't actually say anywhere when I am on my computer that it is a pro, although I know it is a pro.

For example, Medal of Honor has an Autoselect Settings function. It gives me the following info:

Mem Range: 512

CPU: 1531 Mhz

Card Type: Radeon

Card Driver: RADEON 9600

Card Mem Range: 64mb

Now, the 9600 is 128mb. So what's this all about? Also I've seen some things like 3dmark 03 and allied assault say I have Direct X 8, but I have 9.0b, I know this because it says so when I run dxdiag.

Banned
    Thanks
    Seems strange. The only diff between the 9600 and 9600PRO is clock speed, 300/400 (300/200) vs 400/600 (400/300). What are your clocks set at? Seems awful strange they'd come up 64MB, what do apps like 3Dmark03 say? You can turn off AGP mode (AGP0x/disabled instead of AGP8x) or set AGP Aperture to ZERO (or VERY low) as these will force games/apps into your gfx RAM only, it should become evident VERY quickly if you have 64MB as little will be able to run esp in decent res, details and AA+AF. The DX8 thing is pretty normal, the game simply checks for DX8 which it is designed to utilise, it should say "DX8 or better" is detected.

Thanks
    Description: RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Total Local Video Memory: 128 MB
    Total Local Texture Memory: 128 MB
    Total AGP Memory: 55 MB
    Driver File: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.6378
    Driver Details: 7.93-030812a1-010735C-ATI
    Driver Date: 8-12-2003
    Driver WHQL Certified: true
    Max Texture Width: 2048 px
    Max Texture Height: 2048 px
    Max User Clipping Planes: 6
    Max Active Hardware Lights: 8
    Max Texture Blending Stages: 8
    Fixed Function Textures In Single Pass: 8
    Vertex Shader Version: 2.0
    Pixel Shader Version: 2.0
    Max Vertex Blend Matrices: 37
    Max Texture Coordinates: 8
    VGA Memory Clock: 297.0 MHz
    VGA Core Clock: 398.3 MHz

The above came straight from 3dmark 03. Seeing as it's DDR mem as someone pointed out to me, the mem clock is fine as it's double that value.

So the clock speeds seem like I do have a Pro. It just doesn't say it anywhere else.

Thanks
    its due to atis drivers, where it says RADEON 9600 SERIES it means either np or pro... the driver install doesnt check which it is, it just stuffs that string in the registry. i recommend using latest drivers from www.omegacorner.com and also those always say 9x00 PRO now i think (replace x with ur card type), well thats wot mine says

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    that detection doesnt degrade performance, my friends 9700 shows up as a pro but its clearly not, im sure tyan had problems with their cards just showing the "general" chipset name and not details like pro/non pro.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    after more thought ive relised how it works, i think!

when u install drivers for a card, it checks the vendor id, some other id's and the PCI DEVICE ID (important one). this tells the comp which card u have, for example 9700np = 4e45, 9700pro = 4e44.

here is the fun part some cards are locked, some are not, guess how the cards can be unlocked - changing the pci device id to the other one (requires flashing its bios).

BUT some cards come pre-unlocked (the pci device id is already the one for the PRO card, on a no pro [reson for 9700np to be detected as a pro when the clocks are at non pro].

afaik sapphire's european cards are the only ones to come pre-unlocked (please tell me if u find others) which mine was

to check look in display propertys, somewhere thes a details button or somehting and it shows all the info on ur card, including pci dev id.

darthmahon if u could tell me the manuf for ur card, and also wot the pci dev id is, and some 1 with same card, diff manuf can say theres, then well know if ur cards manf are evil rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish for locking a pro card.

(this wont affect performacne which device id u have, but it will mean u can/cant clock ur card, and it gets ID'd wrong by programs...)

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    tell me my reply didnt influence this ;-)
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    Manufacturer is Tyan.

Ok well the Device ID is: 4150

I'm assuming that's the PCI Dev ID, it doesn't say but it's the only thing that mentions the Device ID.

Are the omega drivers better than the catlyst ones then?
    Last edited by darthmahon; 25-09-2003 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    omega drivers are better. they make picture quality slightly better (hidden options). there are apps to change these settings but a lot can make some games unplayable, i think these are good settings to use... they will lose u a few fps/lower 3dm score but not noticably.

http://www.yourvote.com/pci/pciread.asp?venid=0x1002
    has a list of device ids (i added the 9600pro to the 4150 entry just now btw, there was no entry for 9600np/p b4)

omega drivers also have an app called radlinker, its for overclocking. ive got my 9700np from 276/270 to 380/313.5 with it. if u use htis u can see if urs is locked (which means u have the wrong pci dev id!). if urs is locked, it wont be able to change the clock speed and if u set the speed, closed and reopened radlinker it would still show the stock speeds, or ud get an error setting other speeds, or something... u cant damage ur card (unless u clock it really high!) so its worth a try.. just increase the core and mem by 5mhz and see if it sets it. (this wont be set permanently, only untill u restart - unless u tell it to write the speed to bios). if u have no intrest in clocking ur card then dont bother, as its the only thing thats affected.

Thread Information