Thread: First time tft.

Thanks

First time tft.

The hot weather acted as a catalyst for my 7 year old 17" trinitron screen going bang on friday. I am going to use this as an excuse to get a tft monitor, however i have very little experiece of them.

I want a 17" monitor, to give a slight screen increase on my crt and i dont want to spend a lot, maybe £150 including postage. I think i understand all the specifications pretty well but of course they are made up by the manufacturers so cant be trusted. So i need insight form more experienced users. You must be sick of this kind of question but any help would be appreciated.

What do you think of this one ? The specs are good, i think i read that acer is good too. The screen is a bit ugly, id really prefer a black one with a thinner frame, but this is cheap (129.99 plus postage).

Ideally id like one that looks like the dell ones or like this but its just a bit too expensive for me.

Any help or suggections are welcome, im open to all options, bizarre offers and second hand. Thanks.

Edit: I dont play many games but i watch lots of films and tv on my pc so refresh must be reasonable.
    Last edited by Scarlet Infidel; 19-06-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Im probably going to get an Acer AL1715S, however there appear to be a few variations on it. In some cases i assume the given spec are wrong but i seem to have 2 choices. They both share most features such as 300 cd/m2 brightness and
    24-bit colour. However one model qoutes 8ms refresh with 450:1 contrast, the other gives ratings of 12ms and 500:1. Which do you think is best? Would i notice the differences? Is there a chance they are just specification discrepancies?
    Last edited by Scarlet Infidel; 21-06-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Keep an eye on the aria specials page, they always have fantastic TFT's at really good prices.

Thanks
    The arianet ones are cheap but look like toys. I like the dell ones visually but am a little concerned about the rated 25ms response time, how would this monitor compare in terms of response and ghosting (especially watching video) to the 8ms and 12ms Acer ones?

Thread Information