Thread: All-in-Wonder X800 XT Lag with video input workaround for sound

Thanks

All-in-Wonder X800 XT Lag with video input workaround for sound

So I bought the new ATI AIW x800 card because my AIW 9800pro was so great. The video quality increased with the input; however, I notice a lag when hooking up my videogame consoles. I figure this is because now the card handles the audio sync, whereas before it was output to my sound card through a cable.

Looking around the net for a solution to this problem, I came accross a Toms Hardware article( http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...800_xt-05.html ). They had the same issue when testing it and resolved the problem. There solution is kinda vague.

Anyone else with the lag issue here resolve it? It would be nice if someone could give a step by step solution for dummies like me who think the Toms Hardware workaround for the sound buffering is way vague.

Thanks
    Hey man, I have this same question. I just orderd the AIW x800 XT, with the hopes that in addition to kickass computer game graphics, I'll be able to watch TV and play PS2, all the while saving space in my dorm. Problem is, I heard that video game consoles don't hook up very well to the AIW cause there's a response delay from when you press a button on the controller to when it reacts on the screen. This sucks, cause people say it makes games unplayable. Does anyone know of a workaround to prevent this? It'd be great!

Gateshead/Blueyonderland-Sky-Vergin on mad
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi9784
    So I bought the new ATI AIW x800 card because my AIW 9800pro was so great. The video quality increased with the input; however, I notice a lag when hooking up my videogame consoles. I figure this is because now the card handles the audio sync, whereas before it was output to my sound card through a cable.

Looking around the net for a solution to this problem, I came accross a Toms Hardware article( http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...800_xt-05.html ). They had the same issue when testing it and resolved the problem. There solution is kinda vague.

Anyone else with the lag issue here resolve it? It would be nice if someone could give a step by step solution for dummies like me who think the Toms Hardware workaround for the sound buffering is way vague.
    If you use the current install of Catalyst non CCC and stop the install after it hits the first "next" screen, the drivers will be unpacked into the \support directory. Go into the WDM part of the drivers and delete the NSP ones or "force install" the NP WDM drivers via the "update drivers in the system control panel and this will change the sound and suchlike to the analog version which routes sound through the line connector (you have plugged it in of course?).
    Both 5.5 and 5.6 have the option of using NP or NSP drivers for the instal of pre 9000 series cards (analog) or +9000 series cards (digital sound over the bus) and have the same 2 sets of WDM drivers in both the packages. Or download the separates from the low speed dial up section. Get rid of the NSP drivers and force the analog sound via the connector to your line in on the soundcard and hey presto, no more jerks or problems/delays/stuttering caused by the crap digital sound over the pci bus.
    Works for most AIW which have problems with these new digital only audio drivers.
    If you already have digi installed then either do the normal clean install by using the ATI uninstall and then using Drive Cleaner. Just make sure it can only install the NP WDM drivers and Windows SFC can`t auto replace the digital NSP WDM.

Thanks
    Actually I pretty much did the same thing to fix it. I detailed my process step by step in this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=918853 . Thanks for your effort though.

Thanks
    I followed your step by step guide on the other forums, and it did get rid of that awful lag. Only now there's no sound, which also makes most games unplayable. I used the same version of everything as you did, and I can't figure out what's wrong. Switched back to the NSP driver and sound came back. Any idea why?

EDIT: Har, I guess I didn't read part of one of the responses. So that brings me to another question. So I don't have to buy something to convert the audio plugs on the RCA jack to the line in on my sound card, is there a way I can still get audio from the RCA plugs?
    Last edited by WhereMyArm; 11-07-2005 at 08:39 AM.

Thread Information