• 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value

Radeon 9600 driver install problems

I've had this card running on the drivers which came with the cd for the last 3 months or so. After deciding it was time to upgrade them finally, I downloaded the latest omega drivers. They installed fine. That is, until I rebooted my computer to finalise the install process.

As soon as XP loaded, I was presented with an error box saying that there are no drivers present, so ATi control panel is going to close.

I installed after a fresh format/os installation, so no other drivers were installed.

Help, please?

Ravens Nest
    Did you install the omega's from the clean install avoiding the Catalyst drivers?
    If so then thats your problem, the omega drivers are designed to overwrite the existing Catalyst drivers, the catalyst drivers must be installed first (But without control panel).

If you have installed the catalyst then omega, then all you can do is remove the drivers and run driver cleaner to clean them out, then reinstall the catalyst and then install omega over the top of them.

Hope this helps you

Banned
    Thanks
    The drivers that come with the CD are often pretty old, certainly much better to use the generic drivers from the chipset manu (ie ATI or nVidia, Omega too). It's most likely that you have o/c'ed your card, esp if you set it to use these settings at bootup. It seems that CATs newer than v3.4 send Windows into VGA fruitloop mode. Other than that it would most likely stem from not uninstalling the old ATI Control Panel and ATI Drivers before installing the new ones (as Ravens Nest says). There's a patch you can use thanks to malfunction to allow o/c'ing (see below), certified for CAT3.7 (and Omega based on 3.7) but malfunction found it's simple to get it going on the sparkly new 3.8. IMHO try the patch first and if still no good ensure everything is uninstalled (maybe roll-back and uninstall).

http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb....on=file&id=680

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...5&pagenumber=2

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Thank you both kindly, I'll go and have a play with you suggestions. I'll let you know if I manage to figure it

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    I installed the 3.4s, and still cannae get the 3.7s/3.8s (cats or omegas) working. I've used the patch, completely removed things, and all that jazz. Every combination doesn't seem to work. I'll give the 3.4s a test later, and if I'm not satisfied with them, I'll think about attempting to upgrade them, again. Thanks alot guys

Thanks
    I use the same gfx card the 9600 non pro.

What i did was remove the existing drivers, ati control panel etc and reboot the computer.

It will pick up a video adapter as a new device installed and will ask you to install the drivers.

cancel that and then install the omega drivers by double clicking the file and install verything it asks you to.

Then it will reboot the pc and it should work fine then.

Although the omega drivers will overwrite any existing drivers i still prefer to do a fresh install of the omega drivers.

never had a problem.
    R-points pyramid scheme is NOT allowed on HEXUS. Please do not add it back again - thank you.

Banned
    Thanks
    What's your setup Theo? Any new hw or sw changes recently? Does it work if you uninstall and then use the drivers via your CD?

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    My setup is:

NF7-S/XP1700
    2x Maxtor DMX9 120GB 8MB (Boot drive is a 20GB partition) (no bad sectors)
    2x256MB TwinX Corsair PC3200 (tested with memtest, 100% good)
    ATi Radeon 9600 non pro as bought from aria.co.uk
    Conexant based adsl modem in pci slot 2
    Windows XP Professional

I've had the card 3, maybe 4 months now - and I tried to install drivers other than the ones on the cd a few times in the last two months, but have never managed anything more recent than the catalyst 3.4 drivers. This has been happening since even before I started overclocking my card.

The 9600np was the last piece of hardware I added to my system, and I haven't installed anything other than ad-aware 6 since I reinstalled windows.

The problem doesn't bother me as such, I can get by on the 3.4s, but it would just be "nice" to be able to use the new 3.8s or even the 3.7s

Thread Information