Thread: Temperatures on 6600GT card under load

Registered+
    Thanks

Temperatures on 6600GT card under load

Mines has hit 85DegC under load and 60 when idle is this too high?

Thanks
    I have a couple of 6600GTs running SLI and I see similar temps with a mild overclock. I dont think that you have anything to worry about.
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    ive just finsihed playing cs:s and mine is just under 60ºC

Thanks

6600 gt temps

I recently owned a pair of gigabyte 6600 gt silent cards and I understand your concern.

You definatly need good case cooling. I had to add another fan to chuck the extra heat generated by the cards.

The mainly problem I had was in SLi mode the bottom of the two cards got so hot that it started to corrupt the single and turn Far cry more green then it already was. Under full load the maxed out at about 85c but after I added another fan it stopped the corruption problem.

Thanks
    85c is a bit on the high side but not massively so. If you're worried the easiest thing to do is to replace the original goo with arctic silver 5 and that should lower temps a bit.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, may have to invest in some artic silver, anyone know where i can get it without paying more for postage that the item itself?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by leejhamilton
    Thanks for that, may have to invest in some artic silver, anyone know where i can get it without paying more for postage that the item itself?
    Depends where youre located, most mail order companies will let you pick things up.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Nowhere local to me sells it, all mail order
    Ah well looks like ill wait and add it to my next big purchase.
    BTW anyone got any experience of the galaxy cards (one i have) are they any good or not. The one i bought was a stock overclocked agp one for £120, seemed to be good value and speed for the money.

Thanks
    • chriswood_7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2NE SLi
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 5200+
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 120GB + 1x 320GB Seagate IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG 8800GT OC2
      • PSU:
      • 680W Hiper PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano w/ Window
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" HPF50s
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    I agree with the case cooling statement... you really do need to get some cool fresh air into the case and get rid of that extra heat generated by your 6600GT. Those temps do seem very high indeed. I have a 6800GT that when underload goes right up to 80 degrees, overclocked to 420/1.13 ghz but i have an NV5 silencer fitted. My temps are very high for that so what i recommend is you look for some AS5 and reseat the heatsink. Failing that try to get yourself another cooler...

Chris

Registered+
    Thanks
    The annoying thing is that i have Thermaltake xaser II case which has 2 input fans at the front, 1 at the side, and 2 exhaust fans at the rear beneath the psu (hiper Type-r modular with good ventilation) and a pci exhaust fan at the lowest slot, so there is plent of air moving through the case. Just seems that no matter what i try i cant keep it cool ah well looks like i need to look at re-seating the fan or replacing it with something else

Thanks
    • chriswood_7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2NE SLi
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 5200+
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 120GB + 1x 320GB Seagate IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG 8800GT OC2
      • PSU:
      • 680W Hiper PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano w/ Window
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" HPF50s
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    Yeah but you have to remember that the heat generated by the graphics card will tend to just stay in that area (heat flux) and without any direct heat exhaust this heat it will have no where to go and generally stay in that area. My arctic is better than standard cooler, but to be honest is better at keeping my case cool as you can feel the heat leaving the case (the heat that would normally be just lingering round). If you can I would get an arctic just for this reason alone...

Thanks
    I still dont really see a problem with running 6600GTs at around 80C. As long as you are not seeing artifacts or any other problems then whats the beef? You could obsess about the temps, rush out and buy a load of coolers and glue your eyes to rivatuner for hours or settle down, play a game or two and drink some tea.
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noTHINGface
    I still dont really see a problem with running 6600GTs at around 80C. As long as you are not seeing artifacts or any other problems then whats the beef? You could obsess about the temps, rush out and buy a load of coolers and glue your eyes to rivatuner for hours or settle down, play a game or two and drink some tea.
    Good point, if you're not experiencing problems with it then you don't really have anything to worry about.

I didn't reseat my 6600gt cooler one day and the temps rocketed to 130c but all that happened was that it enabled the temp override and it kept the temps below 130c till I switched it off and reseated it. Gpus are generally rated to run at higher temps than cpus so as long as you don't see artifacts or get gameplay issues it isn't too much of a problem unless you're a compulsive overclocker or bencher.

bbq
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noTHINGface
    Wow - great advice - wish I had read this before spending so long working on my cooling.
    I must admit after spending a few paranoid months I agree with you. Gigabyte etc (my card is a gigabyte silentpipe) wouldn't ship a card that installed as per instructions ran outside of its operating temperature.

back to the topic at hand.
    Temperatures on 6600GT card under load. Mines has hit 85DegC under load and 60 when idle is this too high?
    You don't mention what model this is. Does it have a fan - if it does this does seem a little high.
    My Silentpipe x800xl reaches 85deg (doesn't seem to go higher) that is without a fan onto it.
    Thinking out loud - I'd expect the 6600gt to produce similar heat energy and so hitting that temperature sounds like the fan is doing about the same as my heatpipes... I guess that makes sense. you might want to check there is an obvious airflow near/passed the card. e.g. INLET front-lower EXHAUST back top. blocking up spare gaps and holes means you will direct the airflow more reliably... the air will normally take the easiest route out and that might mean it bypasses the areas you want cooled.

On the chill out and relax side of the fence...
    Artifacts are really the only visible method you have of knowing there is a problem.

I used to own/use a 5200 with a fan. The fan failed at some point in its life, and even though the case was warm (38-40) I carried on playing COH and WOW. I didn't have any temp readings for the card and didn't worry about it. Eventually I began to notice the occasional lock up only while playing 3d games and some artifacts appearing during play. Only then did I take the side off and reaslise the problem. In fact playing with the side off was sufficient for the graphics card to be fine. The card still works, but I have now replaced it with a 6600gt and even now I have now idea what temperature it is running at.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Its a galaxy 6600GT AGP, boght after a lot of searching as one of the better cards available.

Thanks
    These cards run hot. If you dont have artefacts and you dont have crashes dont worry about it. ATi cards tend to run cooler for the same performance for what it's worth.

All those power connectors on the PCB are there for a reason

Thread Information