Thread: Cooler for AGP 6600Gt - Help

Thanks

Cooler for AGP 6600Gt - Help

Right, I'm thinking of getting a replacement cooler for my AGP 6600GT, as the stock one is rather loud, also, the temperatures could be a little lower.

What is the best kind to get? I've only seen one that says it is compatible with AGP 6600GT's, which is the Zalman VF700, but that says it needs the extra HSI heatsink. Are there any alternatives to the Zalman?

Thanks
    i know its not as simple as changing a pci-e one cos of the bridge bit but anyone know anymore lol
    dfi sli-dr | AMD64 3700+ san | 2 Gb kingston PC3200 | SLI XFX 6800GT | emu 1820m + ADAT 32 channel audio card | 600w modualar PSU | 300Gb maxtor maxline | 3 X 300 samsung spin point sata2 hdds | 70Gb raptor | akasa case | Zalman Reserator 1 Plus with two cpu blocks |
    ifyouknowme also know as HEXUS|Mrbeef

Thanks
    Yeah, I looked at the Artic site, and it seems the AGP 6600GT is the only agp card they don't make a cooler for... Unless I'm completely missing it.

Thanks
    what make is your 6600gt

Thanks
    It's an XFX nVidia Geforce 6600GT AGP8x

Thanks
    they cant not make one for it lol
    dfi sli-dr | AMD64 3700+ san | 2 Gb kingston PC3200 | SLI XFX 6800GT | emu 1820m + ADAT 32 channel audio card | 600w modualar PSU | 300Gb maxtor maxline | 3 X 300 samsung spin point sata2 hdds | 70Gb raptor | akasa case | Zalman Reserator 1 Plus with two cpu blocks |

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ifyouknowme
    they cant not make one for it lol
    Yeah...

Maybe the only one is that Zalman? And I can't find the extra HSI bit anywhere.

Thanks
    Because of the bridge it means the pin sockets are at a funny angle so its not much use.

You could try the ghetto mod if you're feeling adventurous :
    http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=1784&s=1

For temperatures its not really worth worrying about high temps unless you are experiencing any problems because of it ie crashes or artifacting.

For the noise use this:
    http://www.gainward.com/html/downloa.../expertool.htm

Works on any 6600gt and automatically adjusts the fan speed with temperature so will get rid of that annoying whine in 2d mode.

Thanks
    anyone who does that top mod is tottally nuts

thats the dodgyest lookin thing ive ever seen

Thanks
    what about one of the zalman flower ones

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ifyouknowme
    anyone who does that top mod is tottally nuts

thats the dodgyest lookin thing ive ever seen
    I would say its perfectly fine. Its safe and works better than the stock cooler. If you're happy to do it and know what you're doing then whats the problem?

If you're unable to tighten two cable ties then I could see the issue but its not that hard...

Nvidia cores have overtemp protection so if the anything goes wrong then that kicks in and stops things from burning up.

Thanks
    Hmm.

I'm tempted by the zalman flower one, it's just finding that other bit it needs. Gonna have another look around.

Thanks
    is it this one?

if so then you can use the zalman on this card.

the extra hsi heatsink if referring to the silver heatsink at the bottom of the card

this is becuase some manufacturers, such as gainward (below) use a cooling system that integrates the hsi sink and the main hsf

so you should be okay so long the hsi heatsink is separate from the main heatsink.

the only thing to consider is that the zalman hsf will overlap the the top of your graphics card by 30mm or so (see below)

this is all on zalman's site:

Consider the following when installing Zalman VF700 on a GeForce 6600 GT AGP.

1. Advantages
    1) Installing VF700 on a GeForce 6600 GT AGP lowers the temperatures of the chipset and RAM by 5 ~10°C
    compared to the stock cooler. (Note that GeForce 6600 GT PCIe will not have any problems with having VF700 installed.)

2. Disadvantages
    1) After the VF700 is installed on a GeForce 6600 GT AGP, the cooler's FHS sticks out of the circuit board by about 30mm. This may cause interference with the system case and/or other components.

2) Because the GeForce 6600 GT AGP's chipset is located towards the top area of the board unlike the PCIe version, installation of the cooler may be structurally unstable.

3) The HSI heatsink must be used together with the cooler. If the original heatsink integrates the HSI heatsink into one, then you cannot use VF700 on the card.

Notice) Zalman Tech Co., Ltd. is not responsible for any damages due to external causes, including but not limited to, improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.

Thread Information