Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting 7800 GTX

Thanks
    Advice I got from Wandy below:

'If you've reinstalled Windows and you've used various drivers AND have had
    the card pass tests on three separate occasions, it's your motherboard --
    or a significant incompatibility with it.

The only advice that makes sense would be to go buy yourself a replacement
    Abit AN8 Fatal1ty: if you were to convert time and worry into pounds and
    pence, I dare say it would be more than the £135 it would cost you.'

I am going to run Knoppix disc utility tomorrow night and see what it picks up. Then it looks like I am going to have to take the whole PC apart (oh the joy) and then send the board to Scan for testing and then await a reply and maybe then get a replacement and then rebuild.

If knoppix fails to pick up any irregularities I may try loading SP2 for XP just in case...
    Blackspeech
    'From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks'

Thanks
    i was using SP2, i wouldnt waste your time.

have you had a chnce to try what a said above? about winflash?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Davos
    i was using SP2, i wouldnt waste your time.

have you had a chnce to try what a said above? about winflash?

In short no.

I will be doing all my testing this weekend - I had the card back Monday but have been getting into work early and leaving late - so haven't been able to get to grips with this.

What do I have to do with Winflash? What will it do?

Cheers
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    just try and flash the BIOS. there will be 3 boxes ont he left of the winflash window, see if you can tick them all, then flash

Thanks

Options are back...nearly

Quote Originally Posted by Davos
    just try and flash the BIOS. there will be 3 boxes ont he left of the winflash window, see if you can tick them all, then flash
    Couldn't find Winflash to flash the BIOS. I may be stupid...

Anyway, I went into the BIOS and told it to boot using the PCI-Ex 16 as default is not set to that just 'PCI'.

I then rebooted did an extended test at boot - no errors reported. Then loaded up the XFX Nvidia Drivers from CD. They installed and as soon as completed this message appeared....

'Power Nvidia System Sentinel is reporting that the Nvidia powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power'

'To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing potential system lock-up, the graphics processor has lowered it's performance to a level that allows continued safe operation'

The options you would expect 32 Bit and High Screen Resolutions are all back, But I have not tried based on the message warning above.

Now the only things that has happened is the change I made above in the BIOS and the fact that the card has been re-installed. I use a Tagan Easycon U-15 which has a switch on the rear to allow switiching of the 12v rail. It is set to 'Split'. But I have not got a clue what this means....Anyone? The power connector is connected to the GFX card via a lead that is not shared with another device.

One peculiar thing that has happened (it was working yesterday) was that I now get an Error ID: 0x80040256 which means there is no sound card. I only use the onboard sound anyway and stereo speakers, which when I connect while the PC is on I get the crackling as it connects.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Blackspeech; 05-02-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    its looking more and more like a irq/pci error. your card obviously is getting enough power, and mine is powered by the bus anyway, so doesnt seem like th problem.

so is everything working ok now? you can play games etc?

Thanks
    I haven't tried to play anything just got to this point 5 mins ago.

What I don't understand is why it is telling me that it is not getting enough power - If I try at high res is it gonna fry the card? Or is the message just wrong?

Does this mean I should send mobo back? Is it a PSU issue? What's with the 'Split and Combined options on the 12v?
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    can you try another psu? i dont have access to one :S

Thanks
    Gd idea I have a spare in old case in the loft. It is a 420 Watt so should do the job. Will try in about half an hour or so.. Gotta drop offline for a short time.

Will report back.
    Blackspeech

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dude I really would update to SP2, an american Clanmate had a very similair problem, he went to SP2 and it worked fine, apparently some of the drivers don't like SP1. Give that a go before you do anything drastic!

EDIT: The 'Split' thing just means that the PSU is running two 12V rails (what you want) rather than just the one. You have checked that the auxiliary power is plugged in?
    Last edited by RavenNight; 05-02-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight
    Dude I really would update to SP2, an american Clanmate had a very similair problem, he went to SP2 and it worked fine, apparently some of the drivers don't like SP1. Give that a go before you do anything drastic!

EDIT: The 'Split' thing just means that the PSU is running two 12V rails (what you want) rather than just the one. You have checked that the auxiliary power is plugged in?
    Thanks for the reply. Will do SP2.

Auxilary power? The GFX Card came with a connector that splits into two molex at the other end, are you saying I should have the two connected? At the moment I don't use that cable I use the single Tagan supplied one.

Also - tried playing Rome TW but it failed at the options screen. The pointer left a trail which was very pretty but wouldn't do anything else.
    Last edited by Blackspeech; 05-02-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    It might be worth trying the power cable supplied with the GFX card, the PSU one could be faulty.

EDIT: Also the Soundcard prob is almsot def. a BIOS conflict. To check open up Device Manager, then View -> Resources By Connection then select IRQ.
    Last edited by RavenNight; 05-02-2006 at 10:45 PM.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight
    It might be worth trying the power cable supplied with the GFX card, the PSU one could be faulty.

EDIT: Also the Soundcard prob is almsot def. a BIOS conflict. To check open up Device Manager, then View -> Resources By Connection then select IRQ.

Soundcard bit sorted. Driver issue.

Will give the alternative cable a whirl now if not fixed then will check the spare Tagan. If that fails will try an alternative PSU (I have a 420W spare in the loft). Bit late for doing that now as it is 10pm in the UK.

Does nayone know how I can check what power is actually hitting the card?

Thanks.
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspeech
    Does nayone know how I can check what power is actually hitting the card?
    do you have access to a multimeter?

Thanks
    I don't..and I thought you might ask something like that.

Also..someone over at the nvidia forums suggested running in safe mode and then switching back.

I ran in safe mode and it all ran fine...straight into 1280 x 1024 and 32 Bit Colour. There was no warning about the power as previously mentioned.

So..went back to normal windows boot and get the power warning. Now is this because of the services/apps that run in safe mode....just might be.

I just checked the BIOS and on th 12v Line it is getting 11.77v - enough to cause problems?
    Last edited by Blackspeech; 06-02-2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Blackspeech

Thanks
    From what I know of ATX Specs. its +-5% on the 12V line, so the min is 11.60V. That shoould be fine but I'd still check with another PSU. One big think i would really recommend is flashing the BIOS. It is a little daunting but do it and it could well solve the problem.

Thread Information