Thread: Which Graphics Card

Thanks

Which Graphics Card

Currently running a geForce4 Ti4200

Looking round for a bit more punch on the graphics front but so hard to know by reading the specs. Can't beat some thoughts from them in the know!

Looking to spend up to a couple of hundred notes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    A radeon 9600ro would'nt go a miss.

Depends on what your looking for personally
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

Thanks
    dude check out this thread you wont regret it (i didnt )
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=6997

Thanks
    Please kill this thread.... its been beaten to death so many times... please help moderators... KILL IT!

j/k

But personally, I would only upgrade if you were planning on getting a radeon 9700-9800 (not 9800SE - softmod might not work and if not youve got basically a 9600), or fx5900-5950
    The 9800 is usually better in most situations, however if you got a 5900, 5900Ultra or 5950U you could just make sure you have the latest drivers, then swap cards out. No uninstalling of old drivers or reformatting Windows to ensure the card runs correctly, etc.

a 9600 (pro,xt), 5600, & 5700 would only give you more frame rates in certain places with eye candy and/or 4AA+ and/or AF

But take a 1024x768 basic game and they have close fps in most games. Except very new games (ie DX9)

And even in some DX9 games, b/c the GF4 will default to a different rendering mode (not quite as pretty) it could even have higher fps.
    Last edited by chrisf6969; 18-11-2003 at 03:51 AM.

Ravens Nest

Re: Which Graphics Card

Originally posted by homerhassall
    Currently running a geForce4 Ti4200

Looking round for a bit more punch on the graphics front but so hard to know by reading the specs. Can't beat some thoughts from them in the know!

Looking to spend up to a couple of hundred notes.

Any recommendations?
    I used to have the ti4200 64MB, now have the 9700np it is at least twice as fast (that with 4 X anti aliasing and 8 X anistrophic filtering) Paid £186 for it, but they cant be bought that easy now the nearest is this deal.
    http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html

But to be honest i'd wait till the new year at least, and live with the ti4200 for a little longer, perhaps overclock it. to ti4400 speeds if it can do it

Or find someone to buy it off you for £70 or something near that and then when you know they will buy it buy the 9700pro from the link above and that could do you for a couple of years at least before you need to upgrade again

Banned
    Thanks
    As said this topic has been done many times. Basically 4200 is still a great card with plenty of pure 3D grunt. You are about as fast as a Rad9600PRO or FX5600ultra only lacking in DX9 & AA+AF. FX5700ULTRA, Rad9500PRO and Rad9600XT (or o/c'ed 9600PRO) will pull away esp in newer games but it's well worth holding on to your 4200 until around Feb/March. If you do buy now the best thing to get is a 9700, 9800 or possibly FX5900 as you'll gain a lot (but for a fair sum of money).

Thanks
    Sorry if you've all been here before.

Even from the replies so far looks like I may be better hanging on to my cash for a while yet. Still, whenever you do jump in and buy it's always just before they knock the price right down so I guess I'll never win.

Thanks anyway for the 'words of wisdom'

Thanks
    i would go for a 9800se AIW atm, most seem to softmod, and if they dont then your left with a 9600xt like performer with built in tv stuff, and if it does mod then your left with a card that ppl are buying new for £350

im considering selling my 9700np to get one of these, untill my dad moves some £££ into my account then im buying one as soon as i can

Thread Information