• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Ati X1800XT Queries

Hey all,

Been plaiying with my new GPU and the X1800Xt seems to be fine but there are one or two things that resident Ati-ers might be able to help with:

1) When i enable Overdrive (as its initially locked) for the Core/mem, there are 2 readings, requested and actual. The actual figures seem to be lower than expected (625/750) if i remember the spec correctly. This seems to be backed up through 3dmark which reports the lower figures... Seems odd. Is my card underclocked as Standard??? Seems strange if it is...

2) With Ati tool, i know there are a few issues with my card and OC settings - and that you have to disable certain services, but I'm not going to OC until i need the extra performance BUT i want to use Ati tool to maybe sort out the fan speeds, as i read you can secify custom percentages at certain temps. however, do you just set it and then thats it, or does it have to still run at startup to be effective. basically, for now, i will use CCC so i dont want to disable the services, but i just want the fan control...

3) I have heard that you can flash the 512 variant with an X1800XT PE BIOS so that the default clocks are 700/800. Has anyone done this? How can it be ensured that the card can handle it. I hear that the voltage is increased also, but mem timing slackened. basically, is there any real difference that makes it worth it - what with flashing being a bit of a harsh thing to do...

Thanks for the help on any of the above.

Cheers

JP

Thanks
    1. Perfectly normal. The slighty lower speeds are for 2d, when a 3d app is started, it goes up to 625/750.

2. I never liked ATi Tool myself, had problems. If your not overclocking you shouldn't need to disable the services, but id do it anyways. The program needs to be running of course for the fan settings to work.

3. DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS. Complete waste of time. As you say it increases voltage and heat. You can just overclock yourself.

Id reccommend Rivatuner myself, from here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

It has an awesome temp monitoring function, can control fan speed. Not sure on voltages, but if your on the stock cooler you probly won't want to anyways.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    3. DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS. Complete waste of time. As you say it increases voltage and heat. You can just overclock yourself.
    Although that isn't true in all cases, flashing a bios is a good plan if you can get stable settings and want to keep them. You can get bioses at techpowerup for most cards and simply choose the clockspeeds you want and then flash the card and no more fannying around with overclocking programs as you always have the performance.

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb
    Hmmm, i was hoping that i could just make the settings for the fan but still keep the CCC - anyway, I'm going to stay at stock for now and see how the fan is, but I'm sure I'll come back once i start overclocking. If only ATi Tray Tools could do fan control, then i think i would use that... but anyway, we'll see.

@Smokey21 - Might try Rivatuner. Remember it well from my early Nvidia days, before the drivers became better. Do you use it in conjunction with CCC ie. Both installed? or do you just have the Ati driver and then Rivatuner? Just trying to gathter the best methods of doing stuff before i try to...

JP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    Although that isn't true in all cases, flashing a bios is a good plan if you can get stable settings and want to keep them. You can get bioses at techpowerup for most cards and simply choose the clockspeeds you want and then flash the card and no more fannying around with overclocking programs as you always have the performance.
    Not exactly. Flashing the BIOS through the ****ty software is not a good idea. Ive had a chat with VJ, and he doesn't reccommend it at all, it's just not a good idea. The voltage is uses is also 1.475, which is beyond a lot, 1.4 is stock. Once you start putting the core to 700 and the voltage near 1.5, only water can cope.

I use Rivatuner and i have CCC and everything installed. Currently running 690/810 game stable, load temps of 65C, im just about to rig up a few spare 80mm fans, to keep the temps down, id like 710/820 game stable 24/7.

Thread Information