Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV out?

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by dirtydog
    Bindibadgi, Philips TV-out is only poor if using the SAA7102 chip.. the SAA7104 and 7108 and later chips have very good quality.

The best quality nvidia TV-out is with a Conexant CX25871, found on some Geforce2s/3s/4s. The integrated TV-out found on some MXs/FXs is also good, on a par with the Philips or the BT869. Other MXs/FXs have the Philips chip, usually a 7114H which is just a SAA7104 with video-in.

Finally, ATI cards' TV-out is not always good at all - 8500 and 9100 cards with the Rage Theater chip have substandard tv-out at 800x600, it's a known hardware problem and has never been fixed. Check the Rage3D forums for lots of unhappy people. Also the ATI drivers do not make it easy to adjust the screen (also no official overscan).
    No, i cant stand any of the philips chips. They are all parp - fuzzy, out of synch parp. Rage theatre chipsets on my 8500, 7500, Radeon VIVO have all been superb. Crystal clear, not fuzzy and will play DVDs on monitor and TV at the same time. Lots of decent options (i dont use tv tool with nvidia anyway), works in 640x480-1024x768 on half a dozen tvs ive tried it with. The only decent TV out ive got from nvidia is from a GF4 MX with contexant (sp?) chip which was as good as the rage theatre. Unfortunatly most of the cards are bundled with philips rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe (why pay £400 for a 5900U then get a philips chip?? WHY??). Its not my fault people are too stupid to use their TVs and gfx cards properly. Im sure youll get as many pissed off peeps on nvidia forums too.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Bindibadgi
    No, i cant stand any of the philips chips. They are all parp - fuzzy, out of synch parp. Rage theatre chipsets on my 8500, 7500, Radeon VIVO have all been superb. Crystal clear, not fuzzy and will play DVDs on monitor and TV at the same time. Lots of decent options (i dont use tv tool with nvidia anyway), works in 640x480-1024x768 on half a dozen tvs ive tried it with. The only decent TV out ive got from nvidia is from a GF4 MX with contexant (sp?) chip which was as good as the rage theatre. Unfortunatly most of the cards are bundled with philips ****e (why pay £400 for a 5900U then get a philips chip?? WHY??). Its not my fault people are too stupid to use their TVs and gfx cards properly. Im sure youll get as many pissed off peeps on nvidia forums too.
    There is no GF4 MX model available with a Conexant chip, afaik.. they all have either the Philips VIVO chip or integrated tv-out.

As for Radeon 8500 being good.. well I had a 9100 (the same card clocked lower) and it wasn't good.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...post1332055033

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...t=dvd+overscan
    Last edited by dirtydog; 01-08-2003 at 03:02 PM.

Thread Information