Thread: Wireless noob! Help needed.

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Wireless noob! Help needed.

I'm really new to all this wireless malarkey!

Currently I have 1 pc connected to a cable modem (supplied by ntl). I don't have a router of any sort (when I play xbox live I have to switch cables!).

My brother wants to buy a laptop and use the internet from his room so we will buy a wireless router. I want to keep my PC wired to the router so I will just plug it (and the xbox) into the ethernet ports. My pc DOESN'Thave a wireless card, but I want to keep it wired so thats no problem.

What I want to know is how do I set up the wirelesss router? Do I install it (and the software) on the laptop or on the pc? The laptop will be the only device using wireless. When it comes to security, like all that wep/wpa stuff, do I configure this on the laptop or the pc?

Finally, if anyone can recommend a easy to use/easy to set up wireless router that'd be awesome! Was thinking of getting a netgear one but really have no idea if they are good...

Thanks!

Thanks
    You plug the cable modem into the router via Ethernet, then you plug your pc into the router via Ethernet. You then need to configure the wireless on the laptop (you don't need to do anything on the PC) depending on the in-built card either windows will manage wireless or the manafacturers software will.

WPA is more secure than WEP, but you'd need to be running XP for WPA. Netgear are good routers as are Linksys, these days they have a setup wizard on the router to get everything working.

Thanks
    Linksys WRT54G is one that seems favoured by many for anyone with NTL/Telewest cable connections.

Nigelz's first paragraph sums up how simple it is really.

Linksys' come with a basic setup guide in the box (as do most other routers TBH) this will get you up and running pretty quickly.....then some more research about securing your wireless network.

Hide SSID, MAC filtering, encryption etc.

PC World were doing those routers for about £37 recently.

Banned
    Thanks
    How do you hide SSID?

Also, is it easy to setup the Linksys if the PC is upstairs while the modem / Router will be downstairs? Do i need to physically take the PC downstairs to get it all working?

Thanks

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
    How do you hide SSID?

Also, is it easy to setup the Linksys if the PC is upstairs while the modem / Router will be downstairs? Do i need to physically take the PC downstairs to get it all working?

Thanks
    There should be an option within the router's in-built controls (192.168.0.1 or Home from a Firefox window) to Broadcast SSID - just uncheck the box.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Registered+
    Thanks
    You can initially connect the laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable. This ensures they are both communicating correctly and that you can connect to the internet. You can then configure the necessary security options, unplug the Ethernet cable and try connecting wirelessly.

Banned
    Thanks
    What if i only have the one pc upstairs? Can i set up the router from there if i put a Wireless USB adapter in the pc?

Thanks
    One thing to mention buddy is that if your on xbox live, which i am guessing you are, make sure the router you pick is verfired by xbox on there site, if you dont normally you can run into problems, like connecting with people, My fellow comrades have really sumed it up in setting up the dam thing is pretty straight forward.

Hope it helps

Thread Information