Thread: Hp say I have to buy their Recovery software...

Thanks

Hp say I have to buy their Recovery software...

Ok i bought a HP laptop, and it came with all this HP stuff on it and other stuff from their sponsors like ebay and muvee and all that. I Wanted to whipe it clean so i did, deleting the vista partition and installing a fresh version on.

Now there was as econd partition called REcovery which i left jsut in case.
    Now my webcam jsut wont work all the time, even after re installing the drivers 20x. The webcam is built in so its just a case of getting them off the HP webby

There now saying that my HP recovery partition is corrupt and for the webcam to work u need to use the recovery, which you will now have to buy for $28

I cant beleive that from a fault of their own i have to fork out extra money to get something that should only require a driver to work...

Any ideas guys
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    that does sound very suspect although it is probably a case that the drivers on the web are not configured the same way as the drivers provided on the restore partition.

The easy solution is to pay for the CD (or obtain the CD another way) that way if it does not work you can use the HP support infrastructure to get a solution. Otherwise its time to trawl through a number of sites like hexus looking for similar cases hoping sombody figured it out

Splash
    It's a bit of a ropey subject - technically speaking you should have used the facility to create the recovery media before blasting the partitions, personally I take an image and store it in a safe place before doing anything. You didn't do this, so the other option (I suppose) is to cough up for their recovery media

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Well I wouldn't stand for it, personally i'd get back on the phone and start bitching very politely at them, and suggest that if they don't provide access to drivers for the laptop that work i'd be very upset that they are trying to charge me money to resolve their problem.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks
    ^Yes, complain politely and see what happens. I just had a problem with an HP monitor and their tech support guy I dealt with was absolutely outstanding, a real gent. Worth a try.

Thanks
    Ok, jsut spoke on the phone and on onlin chat. The guy on the phone was very helpful, how ever did point me towards the pruchasing site from which it asks me to pay 28 pounds, but the page was down. So i went back onto the online chat, and after a long wait came bk and said they can supply me with a HP recovery disc for free, without me even saying anything. The problem then was they could only send to US(maybe cause i bought in the US when i was on holiday) but i thought oh well, but gf is there atm ill send to her halls. " we cant sent to po,box's. At this point i was loling. I then said i have no other adresses and the po box address given is very secure and is checked by the person working at the uni, so he agreed to send it there.

So i am very happy with the outcome, jsut weird i got different answer. First 28$ then 28 pounds then free.

Overall they are very helpful and even agreed to call me bk cause it was costing too much.
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

Thread Information