Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to install Sweex USB WLAN adapter

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notsobig View Post
    Yeah, maybe it's good idea to delete suspicious keys in the registry but make sure you make backup of those entries before taking further actions incase something went wrong. (Or maybe you should create system restore point before doing such things)
    I'd first try to find out what they do before removing entries... is there any website or so you know of that can give details for certain registry keys (like "What's the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key contain? -Contains list of programs that are run on startup") so I can look up some details about the keys?

BTW, have you tried creating a new account with administrator rights and install driver from there?
    Nope, I'll try that soon good idea! I'll try first with another administrator-rights-account and with the Administrator account though

I will search Japanese websites for you hoping to find some usuful informations there. But don't expect too much
    Whoa, Japanese. Oh well, good luck searching

Edit: Jelly, above link to your BMP doesn't seem to work anymore?
    Just click it and then click the Go button in your browser. Byethost doesn't seem to like links to their servers :S

Oh, I have just struck with another idea. It's little time consuming though......if you have enough free space for another xp install somewhere then install xp only(which doesn't take that long)and install software like Total Uninstall to monitor which files and registry entries are created while you're installing sweex driver. Once you've found out what's been installed you can go back to your current XP and delete things that are created/added. I think it's safer than deleting keys with random guess? What do you think? Do you think you can try this? BTW Total Uninstall seems fully functional for 30 days so there's more than enough time for you to accomplish the task I guess. And you can delete new xp install once the job is done. Anyway this is their website if you're interested.

http://www.martau.com/tu.php
    I'll need a Windows XP CD and, I assume, a second partition. I'm not in the mood of trying that anytime soon. Maybe in a year or 3 or so ;p

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to install it on another account, the administrator account and a new account soon.

J

Thanks
    Ok, let's forget about everything for now and let's try Steve's method once again. You said you successfully uninstalled old files right? Once you done that, remove the stick from usb port and reinstall the driver. But this time install from downloaded file, not from CD. Once you unzipped "LW143_driv.zip", just run "setup.exe" in "utility" folder and that should install all necessary files including driver files for LW143. Now, don't put the stick back in yet and reboot the pc. When you rebooted back to windows, do you see WLAN icon showing in your task tray? If you can see that then I think your installation of the new driver is successfull. If you can't see that then just put the stick back in and when windows asks you for a missing file, browse to this folder(you must unzip it with my name). There are all necessary files in there I think so this time hopefully the process will finish on it's own. If all fails, bad luck, but I'm afraid it's time for you to reinstall windows

Registered+
    Thanks
    Okay, I'm gonna try that right now. I didn't do the other-account-test as I had no time yesterday, but as you sound very convinced this should work I'll just do it immediately

Thanks
    No, I'm not convinced at all...

Registered+
    Thanks
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It works!!! Heh, finally! *kisses* If I ever win a big sum of money you'll get half of it ;p

Wohoo! =D

Great, at last, it works!

Thanks
    Ah, finally! Weldone. Many congrats.

....I will not forget your promise BTW hehe

Registered+
    Thanks
    *posting from the other computer*

Heh, as if I'd ever win anything ;p

Thanks

Re: Unable to install Sweex USB WLAN adapter

Hello guys!

I have EXACTLY the same problem!

Nosobig you posted a link to a file that is no longer reachable.

What are those files?

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks

Re: Unable to install Sweex USB WLAN adapter

Ok, let's forget about everything for now and let's try Steve's method once again. You said you successfully uninstalled old files right? Once you done that, remove the stick from usb port and reinstall the driver. But this time install from downloaded file, not from CD. Once you unzipped "LW143_driv.zip", just run "setup.exe" in "utility" folder and that should install all necessary files including driver files for LW143. Now, don't put the stick back in yet and reboot the pc. When you rebooted back to windows, do you see WLAN icon showing in your task tray? If you can see that then I think your installation of the new driver is successfull. If you can't see that then just put the stick back in and when windows asks you for a missing file, browse to this file folder(you must unzip it with my name). There are all necessary files in there I think so this time hopefully the process will finish on it's own. If all fails, bad luck, but I'm afraid it's time for you to reinstall windows
    What the hell are those files????

Can't we PM users in this forum?

Jerrythafast or notsobig please help me!!!

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information