Thread: Major Driver Problem!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Major Driver Problem!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey guys i have an ATI 9600XT graphics card and just yesterday i tried to update the drivers (btw i ive been using omega drivers). I had v3.8.291 and tried installing the most recent version - v.3.8.330 BUT now ive run into some problems!! After the installation of the new version drivers i tried to go into ATI Tray Tools and it came up with this error:

Error: Can not find ATI video board or no Catalyst drivers installed!

SO i thought thats wierd and then i tried to reinstall the drivers through the (re)install omega drivers from the start menu and after it tries installing i get this error:

Severe: Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

So i figured that the drivers havnt been properly installed BUT ive tried removing them from add/remove programs and then using driver cleaner and then reinstalling BUT i still get the same error on reinstall!!! I also tried going back to the older version of omega drivers but i get the exact same errors when that set of drivers used to work before!!

I dont know what could have caused this problem but i think it may have been because i didnt properly remove the older version before i installed the newer version and now nothing works!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! I dont want to have to format!!

Thanks!

Thanks
    HAve you tried using the "roll back driver" in control panel, system, hardware, device manager, display adapters?
    Or a restore point?

Thanks
    Yeah rollback is a good idea.

Also try the following if you haven't done already,

Delete 9600XT from device manager and uninstall omega drivers first and then omega setup files. Reboot, get into safe mode run DCpro. Reboot again and let windows re-detect your card, run omega setup driver again.

that's probably what I would do if I ran into a situation like that.

Registered+
    Thanks
    i have deleted them from device manager and let windows redetect them and then installed again but same problem, i might try a restore point or roll back driver now

Thanks
    Have you deleted driver and setup files seperately?

Registered+
    Thanks
    ^^^ what do you mean exactly notsobig?? I deleted the drivers using driver cleaner and cab cleaner after i uninstalled the drivers from add/remove programs.

btw system restore and rollback didnt work!! It rollsback to the same driver as what i have now probably because i have tried reinstalling a few times already and i did a system restore for a couple of days back well before i decided to update but it said it made no changes to the system!!

any other ideas?? thanx btw

Thanks
    Omega drivers usually comes with 2 uninstaller one for driver itself and one for setup files only. And if you just run setup file uninstaller only then drivers will remain untouched. I haven't used it for a long time now so I'm not sure but maybe worth checking that?

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeh ur right it does come with 2 uninstallers, it can be uninstalled so that the tools go and drivers remain or both go...but how is that going to help?

When i try to reinstall the drivers the error stops the installation from finishing, so the drivers dont get installed but the tools get installed but they have no drivers to run with...

Thanks
    Maybe you ran DCpro before you uninstalled the driver? What kind of error message is that?

Registered+
    Thanks
    ok...u dont understand..why would i have run driver cleaner before i uninstalled the programs and driver files. i only used driver cleaner to get rid of the remaining driver files that were left over because they never installed properly and as a result they never uninstalled properly!! Thats why i used driver cleaner so i could get rid of those remaining files and start fresh with a new installation of the driver files....BUT after i install again its the same problem!!! It says it installs but it doesnt install the drivers properly and thus the weird error messages pop up when i want to use ati tray tools. Then i try to reinstall without uninstalling forst...but i get that other error message - Severe: Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

More clear now??

Thanks
    Sorry if I offended you but I'm just trying to help that's all. I just wanted to find out what exact situation you're in, as it's kind of tricky installing/uninstalling Omega drivers so even if you're careful you do that sort of thing unintendedly. But from your description, I think this is kind of hard to fix. Only thing I can think of now is removing files and entries from your system manually but in order to do this you'll probably need another installation of windows somewhere and you have to install program like Total Uninstall prior to installing Omega driver and find out what exact files and entries are made by Omega, then return to your current windows install to delete these things up.

Registered+
    Thanks
    nah u didnt offend me at all mate...when u read what people type sometimes it comes out in the wrong way coz there is no tone or expression to it, so its hard to tell what people mean by what they type sometimes..hehe..anyways what you are saying sounds like a long and hard process...

Quote Originally Posted by notsobig View Post
    Only thing I can think of now is removing files and entries from your system manually but in order to do this you'll probably need another installation of windows somewhere and you have to install program like Total Uninstall prior to installing Omega driver and find out what exact files and entries are made by Omega, then return to your current windows install to delete these things up.
    is there any other thing i can do....ive searched google and found that people have had similar problems to this with the normal ati catalyst drivers and omega drivers but i hardly see any solutions to the problems of the error messages

Thanks
    Sorry but nothing else comes up to my mind at the moment. You don't have any backups of your registry before you install omega driver, do you? Or if you have system restore turned on then you can recover your old system config from that but I guess this is not likely...hmm. I'll comeback if I found something new

Thanks
    Have you tried Catalyst Uninstaller?

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...uestionID=1447

Registered+
    Thanks
    Its too late now but i really appreciate your help, especially notsobig, thanks a lot but i formatted my pc and everything works good now so yeh thanx anyway

Thanks
    No problem mate, that's good to hear.

Thread Information