Thread: Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router stuck in bridge mode? Can't access web utility!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router stuck in bridge mode? Can't access web utility!!!

I Have a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 2 router. It has been set to bridge mode for as long as I can remember so it could work with my Speedstream 5667 routed modem. The router functions in that modem are extremely limited so I purchased a Speedstream 4200 modem which can be set into bridge mode letting the linksys router do all the routing.

My problem is I can not access the web based utility for the router. The manual says that all you do is type 192.168.1.1 in your browser and you should be able to access it but when I do that nothing happens. I have tried doing this while having the connection on my pc set to a standard Ip address setting I use and also the automatic and neither works. I have even tried totally resetting the router by holding the reset button for 10 seconds as suggested in the manual and no luck. I have also tried plugging my computer in various ports of the router with and without the modem hooked up and still no web based utility.

Does anyone have any clue how I can get in to access the web based utility so I can properly configure the router and take it out of bridge mode?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Can anyone help?

Splash
    I assume by bridge mode you mean internet---modem---router---pc - if this is the case is the modem or the router handling DHCP?

Registered+
    Thanks
    The modem is doing everything. The router is just connecting all the computers to the internet. (basically acting like a hub)

Thanks
    look on the back for the little red button, switch it off, push the button for 30s and switch back on.

edit: i see that you have already tried this method. leave the power on this time and try it.
    i take it your network hierarchy maintains switching status with the speedstream. did you remember to move the speedstream - linksys connection back to the wan port on the router?
    some of the linksys ones auto-default to switching mode when theres nothing plugged into the wan.
    Last edited by Steve B; 24-05-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I dont know if any of the above has helped you (the manual does say 30 secs, not 10) but if not then based on your posts above, have you checked that the IP of the router is still what the manual says?

Set your PC to Auto IP (DHCP)
    Go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all

Check the IP is in the range you expect and not a private one (DHCP isnt working in this case) and if so see what the gateway is listed as.

It sounds (although I could be wrong) like the IP for the router might be different so if that gateway entry isnt what you expected (192.168.1.1) then try it in a browser instead.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have tried all kinds of resetting procedures and all it has ever done was change the wireless connection back to default while leaving the router in bridge mode.

What exactly is this auto ip? The way it is setup is the ip I assign to it and it uses that for the router. If I select for it to automatically get the ip under network connections in control pannel it ewont connect properly.

Registered+
    Thanks
    It sounds like router has a different IP to that in the manual.

When you say it wont connect properly, wot does it do?

I wonder if you could plug back in the original modem along with everything else and run a trace route to diagnose what the routers IP is.

Once done, unplug all but the router, set an IP and gateway and try and browse to that IP.

On top of all that, how are you connected to the router? cabled or wireless?

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have my router connected to the modem wired. When I say it doesnt connect properly I mean I enter the ip address that the manual says to and I get "this page can not be found" or nothing at all.

I have no idea how to run a trace route...

Registered+
    Thanks
    when you set a manual IP I assume you put 192.168.1.2 ( or a number higher than 2) and you set the gateway as 192.168.1.1 (netmask is fine at 255.255.255.0)?

If not then do that, should help

There are various websites that will run a traceroute for you, or you can download programs, just Google for traceroute.

Otherwise try the program here
    http://www.nonags.com/nonags/lan.html

EMCO Network Favorites

Thats claims it will find out all machines on the network, which should include the router.

Once you have the IP type that into the web browser.

Thread Information