• 1TB Samsung Spinpoint-F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • 600W Coolermaster Silent Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Gladiator 600

Blue screen on boot up

When booting up the PC, it gets to the Windows loading screen (the one with the blue bar going from left to right) then BSOD's displaying the message:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. if this is the first time you;ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    disable or uninstall and anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer
    Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x862A3848, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Any ideas on how on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    have you tried the suggestions it gives you? If needed, press F8 several times while booting windows to get into safe mode..

Thanks
    • Zyte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 770-C45
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
    I've tried safe mode.. still goes straight to blue screen

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Go here and search the page for that stop error, it tells you how to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • Zyte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 770-C45
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
    this is what that site said.

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

* Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.
    * Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:
    1. In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:

cmd
    2. Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:

chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:
    1. Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
    2. On the File menu, click Properties.
    3. Click the Tools tab.
    4. In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
    5. In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

If you are not using the NTFS file system, and the system partition is formatted with the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file system, long file name (LFN) information can be lost if hard disk tools are started from an MS-DOS command prompt. A command prompt appears when using a startup floppy disk or when using the command prompt startup option on multiple boot systems that use FAT16 or FAT32 partitions with Microsoft® Windows® 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Microsoft® Windows® 98, or Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) installed. Do not use tools meant for other operating systems on Windows XP partitions!
    * Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.

Microsoft KB articles:

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
    STOP 0x23 (or STOP 0x24) When restarting PC after installing PC-Magic Encrypted Magic Folders

Stop 0x0000002E or DATA_BUS_ERROR

The Stop 0x2E message indicates a system memory parity error. The cause is typically failed or defective RAM (including motherboard, Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the 0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist (does not map to a physical address). A Stop 0x2E message can also indicate hard disk damage caused by viruses or other problems.

Possible Resolutions:

* Stop 0x2E is typically due to defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

* Stop 0x2E messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a file name is given, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. Disable the service or application and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the hardware manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

* Hard disk corruption can also cause this Stop message.

* The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

Stop 0x0000003F or NO_MORE_SYSTEM_PTES

The Stop 0x3F message indicates one or more of the following problems:

* The system Page Table Entries (PTEs) are depleted or fragmented due to the system performing a large number of input/output (I/O) actions.
    * A faulty device driver is not managing memory properly.
    * An application, such as a backup program, is improperly allocating large amounts of kernel memory.

Possible Resolutions:

* Stop 0x3F messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a file name is given, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. Disable the service or application and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the hardware manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.
    * The system might not actually be out of PTEs, but a contiguous memory block of sufficient size is not available to satisfy a driver or application request. Check for the availability of updated driver or application files and consult the hardware or program documentation for minimum system requirements.
    * Another cause is excessive demands for system PTE by applications. This situation is more common in server environments. Windows XP Professional provides a registry entry, SystemPages, that you can use to increase the number of PTEs allocated.

Caution
    o Do not edit the registry unless you have no alternative. The registry editor bypasses standard safeguards, allowing settings that can damage your system, or even require you to reinstall Windows. If you must edit the registry, back it up first...

To increase the number of PTEs allocated in the registry
    1. In the Run dialog box, and in the Open box, type: regedit
    2. In the registry editor, navigate to the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
    Session Manager\Memory Management.
    3. Double-click on PagedPoolSize and SystemPages to view the value for each entry.
    4. If PagedPoolSize is not zero, assign a value of 0.
    5. If SystemPages is not zero, assign a value of 40000 for systems with 128 MB (or less) of memory, or 110000 for systems with 128 MB to 256 MB of memory. For systems with more memory, do not increase the SystemPages value above 110000 without contacting Microsoft technical support.
    6. Click OK, and then close the registry editor.
    7. Restart your computer.

Problem is I cant get into windows to perform these steps, because it BSOD's before XP has fully loaded and i can do anything. That and i don't fully understand what its saying, so it might need dumbing down a bit for me.
    Last edited by Zyte; 21-04-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Are you able to boot from the xp cd and do a repair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • Zyte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 770-C45
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
    yeh i have the disc but the cd drive isnt set to 1st priority. When i go to get to bios, i tap the delete key but it takes me to the Windows mode or Safe mode option.

Thanks
    • Zyte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 770-C45
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
    ignore my last post worked it out

Thanks
    I have the same issues but I cannot Repair or load into any of the windows modes. Any ideas how I can solve this?

I can run the PC using KNOPPIX.
    Blackspeech
    'From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks'

Thread Information