Thread: Nothing on monitor on booting for 30 secs, then works as normal....!?

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy

Nothing on monitor on booting for 30 secs, then works as normal....!?

Hi,

I have the system listed in 'my system'. My CPU cooler is a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. Today I replaced the fan on said cooler. The old fan didn't connect to mobo, just to a molex plug, and the new fan now plugs into the motherboard. I also added a dominator memory cooler to my system. After this, everything seemed fine, and I fiddled about with the BIOS settings, OCing my CPU and RAM to the speeds I wanted. At some point, the computer has started to act strangely when I boot it up.

Now when I press the power button, everything spins up, monitor goes from 'standby' to 'on', then system powers down. After a few seconds, once again everything spins up, monitor goes from 'standby' to 'on', then goes back to 'standby' for about 30 secs, without having posted. During this time the HDD light stays on constantly, the keyboard lights flash a few times, dvd drive lights come on and go off a few times. Then monitor comes on and computer boots as normal.... if I then restart from the windows menu, it restarts as normal, but after I switch off, the next time I boot, same strange behaviour. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem?

The powering down then restarting is what this board normally does after a bad overclock. I have reset all the BIOS values to default though, and no change. I have tried manually entering the values for ram, cpu, voltages, etc that I know to be correct and this hasn't helped.

When I do get into windows, Orthos is stable on all tests, so I don't think it's a RAM/CPU problem, temps are normal, memtest gives no errors for RAM, swapped out RAM with 2 other kits and no change, tested HDD and that's fine, checked all cables and they look okay.

Could this be a PSU problem? I know very little about PSUs, including how to measure the voltage they are supplying.

Thanks for any help, this has got me stumped

Thanks
    Well before I did anything I would set your system at 'stock' setting-which I think you have done. ASLO try booting with that new fan 'disconnected' --won't hurt your system for a short period as you have a big beast of cooler there. When your changing things it's fatal to make too many changes at once. You said that you put 'heat sinks on your ram - not sure if this is what you ment, but maybe worth a try to reseat the ram or using one stick. Hope this helps a bit

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy
    Problem solved.... a simple CMOS battery removal and relacement did the trick. Very odd, as I've OC'ed everything once again and no problem this time This P5B is a bit strange....

Thanks
    Yes , a cmos battery on the way out can cause a lot of strange things to happen . Thought that I had low battery on one of my systems recently and changing it 'did the bis'

Glad you got it fixed.

Thread Information