Hi there,

After replacing my CPU/RAM I decided I might as well get the most out of my Core 2 Duo 6400, so I installed XP 64 bit, now, the install itself went fine, keyboard and language settings confirmed, Serial Code entered the install process continued, then reset as expected. Upon the restart, when the Windows "Splash" screen comes up, the progress bar does its normal thing for about three seconds, then the screen darkens and no more progress is made - allow me to reliterate, the screen blackens, yet there is still a signal being sent to the monitors (They would auto-shutoff were no signal being sent).

However for some strange reason the computer will boot into safe mode with no problems, however for the purposes of loading on Chipset drivers, GPU drivers and other software installs this is far from ideal..

I've performed rigorous hardware testing including a two day stint of RAM testing. Flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS and etc. At first I thought the XP DVD may have been corrupted, so I laid my hands on another XP 64 install disk (different version as well) yet this produced Identical results. The PC was previously running a 32 bit version of Windows XP with the exact hardware I am currently using - this was stable and worked fine.

I have literally racked my brains trying to figure this out, if anyone has any idea what the problem might be I am open to any suggestions (short of Voodoo).

System Specs:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (first edition)
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
Corsair XMS (800Mhz) (2x 1 Gig stick)
Saphire ATI X800 Pro
Standard PS2 keyboard
Razer Diamondback mouse
Viewsonic VS724 monitors (x2)

Once again, any suggestions as to why the 64 bit OS isn't booting properly would be greatly appreciated, and my thanks in advance.

Wilbur.