Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown Virus...Obfustat.VG (AVG)

Thanks

Re: Unknown Virus...Obfustat.VG (AVG)

2 days ago on a .exe file of a game also on the cd of the game wich is original :S

and ok ill do that

and my antivirus gets updated almost daily :S
    Last edited by andreas; 09-10-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

Hi, I'm getting a similar message. But it's Obfustat.ADXW. I'm assuming it's not a virus as you've said with other Obfustats.

But, I'm also getting a message about Generic9.AJYG. Is this a false positive as well? If so how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

Maybe all "Obfustat" forms are fale positives for AVG, this does not mean that a similar problem or name on another anti-virus vendor is a flase positive. Many people get caught in traps and allow things due to poorly informed forum posts...

Perhaps all Obfustat's are indeed false, however the files were being flagged for a reason and should not be ignored. If anything is flagged you should scan the file in concern with an online tool such as Online malware scan. If only you're scanner shows a positive result then i expect the file is indeed a false positive..

Do not ignore anything (!) Trojan Horse Generic9.AJYG appears to be a legit problem steps for removal are on spywareinfo.com.

Thanks

I have to disagree with CrazyMonkey, and agree in part too. AVG is a complete tool and you can trust it, no need to scan with online tools that you don't really know. Anyway it is true that no detection is to be ignored. All AVG customer has an option to send the suspected file to their support. When you get a detection 1) look up in the AVG online encyclopedia, if you find the virus there 80% is a real detection. 2) if the virus is not found or you have reasons to believe that is a false positive isolate it in the AVG vault first then send it to support using AVG option "information > technical support by email". The file will be safe in the vault and can be restored if it's a false positive. AVG support will reply quickly and you can trust what they say.

NOTE: Obfustat detection is mainly found in game trainers or NOCD NO DVD patches. Other kind of false positive can be found in such material, but occasionally real virus can be found too.

I just want to say to all owners of AVG that, if you have the legitimate retail AVG, you are quite covered against all dangers, just keep you update option always on and set to "daily" minimum but better 2-3 times per day. Also do not lower resident shield. Keep a "full complete detailed scan" option once a week and not just "full complete scan".

If you are using free AVG, then I would consider to upgrade, as many options are not available.

Some more about "Obfustat": game trainers alter some code in the game when running directly in memory so to let you "cheat", this can be seen as a virus behaviour that's why initially they were detected. It was not even a direct detection but just an heuristic one. I could write more about this but I am afraid to be too technical, so let's just say, be carefull, don't be paranoid, trust your AVG but use support when unsure!!! No need for other online tools as often they install third party ActiveX with disturbing content. Nothing comes for free!

Hi everybody!

Thanks

I forgot to answer to BlueBeetle about his Generic9.AJYG

Generic9 can be a false positive too, I found it in Silent Hill 4 trainer+4 and in my case was not a malware, but nobody can be sure without analyzing the file and i don't advice to blindly follow any instructions from any web site especially when coming to edit the registries and if you're not an "expert"

The only CORRECT way to know for sure is to send the file to AVG, they will also provide you with the right tools to remove it. Let me know if I can help more...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information