Thread: Odd DVD-rw issue - no longer reading disks

Thanks

Odd DVD-rw issue - no longer reading disks

Hi all,

So, last night I burned a Datawrite dvd-r on my Pioneer 111L drive, which has only been used for about 10-15 disks over the year or so I've had it (it;s been sitting in an HTPC and has bee very rarely used since purchase). The disk worked fine, and verified with no issues. An hour or so later, I switched the PC off so I could plug in a mates 120gb IDE drive, via an old IDE caddy I have installed in the system.

That hung the pc, the activity light on the IDE caddy was on continuously. I didn't have time to mess about with it, so switched off again, and removed the caddy - the pc booted up fine. However, now comes the issue.... My dvd-rw no longer reads my dvd-r disks, whether they're blank, or whether they're burned - including the one I burned 30 minutes beforehand. Powering down makes no odds, the disks can't be read in Vista or XP, and I also tried a brand new cakebox of disks to no avail.

I have no idea what could be causing the issue, so any help would be appreciated. I can't really be bothered to buy a new drive, expecially when the 111 has had so little use since I bought it.

Cheers.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    What OS? What diagnostics have you run? Assuming Windows, does the drive appear in Windows explorer? As a quick and dirty fix, try removing the drive, fire up Windows, then power down and reconnect, then power up again and see if Windows detects it. Difficult to offer any hard advice without more info.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    What OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinleech
    the disks can't be read in Vista or XP
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    What diagnostics have you run? Assuming Windows, does the drive appear in Windows explorer? As a quick and dirty fix, try removing the drive, fire up Windows, then power down and reconnect, then power up again and see if Windows detects it. Difficult to offer any hard advice without more info.
    The drive shows up fine, it reads cd-rs and I tried a blank dvd+r dl which was recognised. I've updated the firmware to the latest version too. I'll try as you suggest, was planning to when I got home anyway, but I don't see why that would fix the issue when the drive itself is visible in Windows.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry - missed a bit when reading the original post. Could be a spec of dirt on the laser lens. If re-installation doesn't help (and as you say, it may not) you could try taking the cover off the drive and using an air duster to blow any possible dust specs off the laser lens. A bit of a long shot though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    Cheers anyway, I'll see what I can do. Can't see it being dust, but you never know. I have recent totally cleaned out that case too. But we'll see, it's just really unfuriating.

Thread Information