Thread: Should I upgrade

Thanks

Should I upgrade

We currently have 2 pcs at home one used by the kids and one by the so called adults! Both have XP Athlons 2000 and 2600 repectively. Now both kids are off to uni this autumn and both want a pc. The plan was to let one have the 2000 Xp one and I would then build an near enough identical machine to give to the other. My problem is that second hand Atjlon XP processors often arent much cheaper than new 64 cpus plus the DDR2 memory is often cheaper than standard DDR memory. So Im now thinking of building myself a new machine around a newer processor and letting the kids have both current machines. The current 2600 machine is ok except if I do any DVD copying, encrypting etc when it grabs 100% usage and obviously slows everything else down. If I went down the line of a 64 cpu would I notice a decent difference ie 64 3800 or maybe 64 X2 3800. I was led to believe that to get the most from a 64 cpu one needed 64 bit programs of which my Windows XP obviously isnt? And finally am I right to stick with AMD?
    Sorry for such a long question.
    Regards
    Last edited by bogart; 18-07-2007 at 09:16 AM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    The Intel dual core duo CPUs are reckoned to be the fastest, but the AMD CPU's offer outstanding value for maney at the moment (and deserve support to stop them going under so that there is still competition for Intel!)

64 bit software will make the most of a 64 bit CPU, but I suspect you would get quite acceptable results for general computing from a cheapish AMD AM2 CPUs (looking at Scan, they all seem to be 64bit anyway) AMD also do dual core (although not as fast as Intel) for a little more. Much depends on your budget and what you want to use it for, but unless you are a hard core gamer, then there is no need to spend a fortune. (As an example, I put together an Athlon AM2 machine using an Asus barebones case - certainly not top end, but good for WP, Web, CD ripping, DVD playback etc etc... - I also have an older socket A machine built 3 years ago that runs Linux, does web serving, rips CDs, etc etc without any problems)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

bogart (20-07-2007)

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre
    Hi Bogart, I recently just moved from an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1GB DDR ram and a 9600XT AGP to a Core 2 Duo E4400, 2GB DDR2 and a Geforce 7950GT.

From what I have seen you would be wrong to move to an Athlon 64, you can get some super cheap Core 2 based Pentiums (E21XX Series) which are still dual core or a cheap Core 2 E4300 once the price drops on the 22nd. I know a lot of people will start going on about overclocking at this point, but I couldn't give a monkeys. Like yourself I like a system that will last me a good long time so something that runs cool. 64 bit processors like the A64 and Core 2 will run 32-bit code and aside from super huge games running on huge graphics cards you shouldn't need 64-bit just yet.

I bought a 945P based board because of the lower heat/power consumption and that I do not plan to overclock. The E4400 in benchmarks seemed to be hovering around the E6320 in performance benchmarks. AM2 will be replaced (like 754 and 939) with AM2+ and AM3, where as Intel's 775 seems to support quad core and ddr3 just fine. I'd hate to have to change my motherboard+ram+cpu just to upgrade one in the future.

5. Received thanks from:

bogart (20-07-2007)

Thread Information