Thread: Brand New Western Digital Hard Drive causing problems

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

Brand New Western Digital Hard Drive causing problems

Hi everyone its a fairly long tale ...

Today I recieved a Western Digital SATA 500 GB drive. I installed it succesfully and it showed up in bios. Great I though, until Windows Vista booted and the drive did not appear under My Computer... I went into Disk Management in admin tools and the drive was not shown there, odd I thought... I download the Western Digital Drive Guard 11.2 Software to find out it doesnt work with Vista. I downloaded the bootable DOS ISO image and attempted to boot from that when I restarted my computer. It hung just after it finished loading CD ROM drivers, I left it for half an hour to make sure it wasnt trying to detect hard drives and gave up....

Next I downloaded The Ultimate Boot CD (DOS version) and went through the relevent menu's to launch the same software and got the same problem. At this point I was going a bit mental so I thought I'd try the Western Digital Diagostics, and same problem with a crash just after it loads CD ROM drivers. I then used from the Ultimate Boot CD (following a restart) PTDD Super Fdisc to format the drive as FAT32 not an ideal solution I know for a drive of that capacity.

A restart later and Vista booted and detected the drive fine as I expected. I then wanted to format the drive to NTFS (not a quick format) so I started the process in Disc Manager and I walked off and left it for 2 hours to find it had done 2% of the disc. I thought this was a bit odd due to drives smaller in capacity taking far less time so I stopped the format and restarted. I then tried the same process again for 2 and a half hours this time and got the same result.

I restarted and the drive was then not picked up by Vista. I went back to the ultimate boot cd and formatted the drive as FAT32 using the same tool to be informed the disk contained bad sectors throughout. At this point I have given up and thought someone might be able to suggest something to help me out with this problem.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
    Last edited by digit; 01-08-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    If you have made sure its not because of loose cables etc then just RMA it as it sounds faulty.

Registered+
    Thanks
    It sounds as if that drive is knackered. You should RMA it...

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help, eventually I got the western digital diagonistics working and it failed within seconds on the quick test. I shall RMA it as suggested.

Thread Information