Thread: CD-ROM Paging error crash

Registered+
    Thanks

Question CD-ROM Paging error crash

Hi I burned a DVD ab was verifying, when the system just died. The error message in event viewer says as title.

Is this a dying burner, dodgy cable, or saomething else, I've had lots or random crashes when unpacking rar files or moving files between physical disks. Run memtest and all OK

Running 3800x2 with 1 single GB RAM XP SP2 and X800GT - all watercooled.

The install, might be iffy as I had a few problems with CCC and had to reinstall drivers to get the tft to work at the right resolution - I know how deep the driver go.

So hardware or sortware or could be anything.

Cheers for any tips - especially the person who says - hey this happened to me and all what was needed was an upgrade to quad core

Thanks

Re: CD-ROM Paging error crash

Check your event viewer to see if there are any other drive related errors for either the hard drive or DVD unit, look back a few weeks just in case there are random, occasional errors...

How many drives do you have ? Are they SATA ? or IDE ?

If IDE, are they all on the same IDE cable ? and are the jumpers set as Master and Slave correctly ? (Master goes at the end of the cable, Slave goes in the middle of the cable)

Could be the drive it's self, or it could also be the IDE cable, or even the Master/Slave thing not set right.... it's a case of tracking it down....

If you have an unused IDE bus and a spare IDE cable, separate the devices so that they are each on their own cable, with each device as a Master on the end of the cable, see if that helps.

If you have another spare IDE cable, replace the original cable completely just in case. If you don't have spares, IDE cables are cheap.

If your dealing with SATA however, then none of the above applies and it's possible the SATA cable is dodgy for the DVD drive, again, for the cost of a cable, replace it and see if that helps.

Failing all the above, run a memtest to rule that out of the equation...

Failing all of the above, it is possible the drive is failing, how old is it ? What make and model ?
    Last edited by Sema4; 15-08-2007 at 02:24 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: CD-ROM Paging error crash

Hi Thanks for the detailed post. Seems to have been a one off - have upgraded from XP to Vista and all seems OK. Memtest OK and event viewer was also clean. May have been related to a dodgy DVD-R in the drive - or at least a one-off.

Fingers crossed

Thread Information