Thread: Backing Up DVD9 Media Help.

Thanks

Backing Up DVD9 Media Help.

Got myself a Dual Layer DVD burner some DVD9 media but realised my standalone DVD player does not support dual layered DVD-R's. No my question is this; the actual DVD movies are normally on dual layered DVD and they obviously work fine in my DVD player so what extra bit of software do they production companies use to get them to work in a DVD player?

Can this be done on a home PC? Im not in the USA so the legal issue isnt a problem for me. Here in the EU I believe it is so fuzzy no one really knows

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Backing Up DVD9 Media Help.

Quote Originally Posted by thejimbo View Post
    Got myself a Dual Layer DVD burner some DVD9 media but realised my standalone DVD player does not support dual layered DVD-R's. No my question is this; the actual DVD movies are normally on dual layered DVD and they obviously work fine in my DVD player so what extra bit of software do they production companies use to get them to work in a DVD player?

Can this be done on a home PC? Im not in the USA so the legal issue isnt a problem for me. Here in the EU I believe it is so fuzzy no one really knows
    I would imagine the discs used by manufacturers are physically different, they certainly look so on the surface in the case of single layer discs. If nobody here has any ideas it be worth asking/ looking at doom9.org, pretty much the experts in this field :-)

Thanks

If you have the right type of DVD writer you can set the book type of the disk to DVD-ROM, then it should read. Some drives auto set it.

Your disks are probabnly showing up as -R DL or +R DL which will be throwing your player off.

Thanks

Got myself a Optiarc AD7170S. How do I set the book type on that?

Thanks

Google it.

It may be possible, it may not. I've never heard of your drive so can't comment.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thejimbo View Post

It is our understanding that EU copyright law does not permit "backing up" movies, and (unlike the US) doing so is not a "fair use".

Furthermore, most if not all movies have copy protection systems built in and under the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 (which is the UK's implementation of the European Copyright Directive) s296 ZB(2) puts a potential criminal liability on anyone providing a service which facilitates the circumvention of such copy protection.

There's a fair few complications in terms of exactly what is being done, whether it's in the course of a business (like Hexus) or whether it might "affect prejudicially the copyright owner", but the upshot of all of it is that it's a murky area and even where individuals might be willing to risk copyright law, Hexus can be liable even where you aren't.

Accordingly, we can't let this type of discussion take place on here.

Thread Information