Thread: Edit DVD on the fly?

Registered+
    Thanks

Edit DVD on the fly?

Hi,

Been recording some stuff with my DVD recorder but id like to remove adverts and input chapters. Is there any software in which i can do this "on the fly"? i.e As i make an edit, it makes the edit on the DVD?

OR if this isnt possible, is there any program which will dump the DVD contents in a temp folder on my HD. allow me to edit it, and then burn back the new file? If so could you link me to the software and the time it takes to do this process?

BTW Im using a DVD+RW.
    Thanks

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Edit DVD on the fly?

No idea about doing it on the fly. I take it your DVD recorder can't d edits. Some of them can, but that might actuall just be a feature of DVD-RAM based systems.

http://www.doom9.org/ - Look at the Guides section on the left hand side, there might be smething there for doing it all with free software, but it is going to take some work.

Nero Vision Express will import a non copy protected DVD, so will Ulead DVD Movie Factory.

Length of time to complete it? depends entirely on the specification of the system you are doing it on.

Registered+
    Thanks

Cheers funkstar

Thats the problem, i cant do it on the DVD Recorder. Well to be exact i can but the deleted scenes will not free up space on the disc unless its the last thing on the disc. I need to free up space by removing adverts because there is roughly 30minutes going to adverts on each disc, and since i need to back up around 20-30hours worth of stuff, that extra space on each disc will help reduce the number of discs i have to use.

What im doing/hoped to do was record programmes from my PVR (Hard Drive recorder) to a DVD+RW via the DVD-Recorder, edit on the computer to save space, put back into the DVD recorder and record one more program onto the disc, then copy the DVD+RW onto a DVD-R to archive. Then format the DVD+RW and reuse for the next batch of programmes, so the cycle repeats. Very long!!

However im now thinking about converting the DVD straight to DivX, have it compress, and then i could put quite a few DVD's worth onto one DVD with just AVI files (which my dvd player can play). Just i need some guidance on a decent DVDtoAVI tool, which doesnt ruin the picture quality much. I've seen, as im sure many have, DivX files of only 700mb size but they are amazing DVD-Rips! If i do it this way, i can easily remove the adverts from the DivX files and save a heap of discs.

If you know of any good DVDtoAVI programs, please share.
    Thanks

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Again: http://www.doom9.org/

There are guides and forums full of information about video conversion, especially DVD to DivX/MPEG-4.

Your main loss in quality is going to be from the PVR -> DVD Recorder stage. How are these two linked? At the very least you have a Digital -> analogue -> Digital conversion going on there. And unless you are using full RGB SCART or s-video, you are going to get further loss on the analogue stage too.

You must have a lot of time on your hands, i really couldn't be bothered with all that

What PVR is it? have you looked at mods to remove the hard drive and connect it directly to your PC? then you are just processing the raw digital streams the PVR saves. If it is a Freeview PVR, then these digital streams are the same ones broadcast over the air. It i possible to do all this without any generation loss at all

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    And unless you are using full RGB SCART or s-video, you are going to get further loss on the analogue stage too.
    Dont i know it
    Its actually being fed a scart composite signal. I have a Virgin V+ box. It recieves all my cable channels but also has a 160GB HD. Unfortunatly the dedicate scart output from the V+ box to a DVD/VHS recorder is only composite. It has another scart output for connection the box to TV however which is RGB. Problem is you can use the V+ box facility of "Copy to DVD" from this RGB output, only the composite. The facility allows you to make a playlist in a way, which plays the selected recordings, for you to record in one big go and watch TV at the same time as its outputting this through the composite scart. Otherwise id have to baby sit the recordings and keep selecting the next recording after one had finished.

Also because of Virgins latest genius brainwave update , you cant output from the RGB scart and HDMI output (which i have connected to my TV) at the same time. So i couldnt even watch TV while im baby sitting it recording . So had no choice tbh and had to use composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    You must have a lot of time on your hands, i really couldn't be bothered with all that
    Its a job that needs to be done! My HD recorder is almost full and its becoming a pain. However this whole thing is also doing my head in

Il have a look at the idea of getting the HD out of the box, but since i dont technically own it (you pay a set amount every month for this box rather than virgins normal cable box which doesnt have any HD recorder), i think it would probs be best to leave it alone.

Will check out Doom9, seen a few interesting guides already. Headache time!

Thanks

VideoRedo plus is an excellent, frame accurate mpeg2 editor.

Get your content onto a +/-rw disk, copy it all to a folder on your HDD then edit the content with it.

It's nice and quick, and you can eitehr choose to work in cut mode (where tyou choose what to cut) or keep mode (where you choose what to keep).

Thread Information