Thread: Which one to believe??

Registered+
    Thanks

Which one to believe??

Hi,
    I have just finished building my new m/c (6 days ago) using a Q66oo Quad core on a Asus P5E mobo.
    Now being VERY wary of cpu temps I am using the PC Probe II supplied by Asus and,with the computer running @ 75% min.(distributed computing),the cpu temp is 39C - this is with the 2 main fans running at low speed.

Now today I have read about a useful tool,CoreTemp 0.95, so I d/loaded and ran it. It shows the temp from each core as 62C,61C,58C,61C.

Now,as there is a 50% difference in the 2 figures I would love someone to explain why and hopefully say the Asus figure is the right one.

Also I installed 4 x 1gig Crucial Ballistix 1066 memory sticks before I found out they would not be recognized (bright,eh?).I am running XP Pro and,although the mobo detects 4 gig XP says only 3.25gig is being used.Is there no way round this and,if not,will the current config stop the dual-channel working effectively?.
    Thank you for any help.

Thanks

Re: Which one to believe??

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    Hi,
    Now today I have read about a useful tool,CoreTemp 0.95, so I d/loaded and ran it. It shows the temp from each core as 62C,61C,58C,61C.

Now,as there is a 50% difference in the 2 figures I would love someone to explain why and hopefully say the Asus figure is the right one.
    It's not a 50% difference, as celcius is not an absolute scale. It's a difference of about 312-333 kelvin. So about 4%.
    Sometimes the bios doesn't detect temps properly, so check if there is an update available. Apart from that, be cautious and assume it is running about 60C.

Hi,
    Also I installed 4 x 1gig Crucial Ballistix 1066 memory sticks before I found out they would not be recognized (bright,eh?).I am running XP Pro and,although the mobo detects 4 gig XP says only 3.25gig is being used.Is there no way round this and,if not,will the current config stop the dual-channel working effectively?.
    Thank you for any help.
    XP-pro is 32bit, so is limited to 4 gig total addressable. Due to complicated technical reasons, XP-pro can only see about 3.2gig. Other than upgrading to xp-64 (or vista-64) there's nothing you can do. Dual channel should still work fine though.
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. i5-6500. 16gig Ripjaw 2400. Samsung 950pro NMVe 250gig+ 1tb Intel 660p. GTX Titan. Corsair TX650M.

939 3800 X2 | 2gig corsairXMS 3200C2
    1950XT | 500gig,320,200,160
    Plextor DVD burner | Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-drive
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 w 480W FSP | X-fi fatal1ty

Things have moved on since I first joined...

Thanks

For temperatures, SpeedFan is generally reliable, though it still gives 1 erroneously high reading on my 6600.

I am running XP Pro and,although the mobo detects 4 gig XP says only 3.25gig is being used.
    I've lost track of the number of times this has been discussed here. Do a search and you'll find a comprehensive answer.
    Is there no way round this
    Change to a 64-bit version of Windows.
    and,if not,will the current config stop the dual-channel working effectively?.
    No.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thank you,Fabula.

Thread Information