• 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini

Offsite backup

Right our compliance guys have been in, and have said taht we need to maintain an offsite backup..........

The current setup is,

Dell server running SBS 2003, on a RAID 1 array for FT.

I have a NAS box that sits in the outhouse at the end of the garden. Initially they agreed that this would be considered enough but now they have changed their minds.

Currently the only thing we are required to have backed up is a 6Mb DB and a program thats about 100MB big.

We have a member of staff that would be taking the backup offsite when she finishes work every day, so need something robust enough so that she wont kill it. So magnetic media is out, and so a CD/DVD-RW.

I was thinking a couple of pen drives should do the trick? What do you guys think?
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Thanks

Re: Offsite backup

How about one of the online backup services such as carbonite ( Carbonite Online Backup: Easy. Completely Automatic. Secure )
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by nimbu View Post
    <snip>
    I was thinking a couple of pen drives should do the trick? What do you guys think?
    Don't do it. Don't rely on flash memory to keep backups. Seriously.

Thanks
    • nimbu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M3N78-EMH
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4050e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Cosair XMS DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    How about one of the online backup services such as carbonite ( Carbonite Online Backup: Easy. Completely Automatic. Secure )
    Did think of that initially, but I wont be here with the firm after december and cba to deal with support them. (Have you any idea how fustrating it is to support your mother and your aunt????)

Atm I trigger a batchfile in the evenings which shuttles it over to the NAS. Can easily automate this.

Don't do it. Don't rely on flash memory to keep backups. Seriously.
    Even if I get 5 of them, one for each day, and the NAS backup is being done daily anyways? Really its just to appease the offsite requirement.
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by nimbu View Post
    Even if I get 5 of them, one for each day, and the NAS backup is being done daily anyways? Really its just to appease the offsite requirement.
    At the end of the day the decision is yours, but I would strongly recommend against something as volatile as flash memory for _any_ form of DR. Have a look at some of the offsite backup solutions that can be done over your internet link if the amount of data is as small as you suggest.

Another idea might be (if you have the technology) to have a daily job run and dump the backup over SFTP to an SFTP housed offsite somewhere - this could save you some cash.
    Last edited by Splash; 12-11-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information