Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant enable DMA on old K62 system win98se

Thanks

Cant enable DMA on old K62 system win98se

Hi,
    I'm having a bit of a clear out of my old PC gear. I found an old k62 400 and mobo in a case thats been sitting in a corner for several years. I decided to make it work and either sell it for £20 or if I cant get that for it then I'll give it away.

I found a suitable case for the thing and an old 12Gb Samsung Spinpoint HDD. 64Mb ram stick, ISA NIC and soundcards and an 8mb AGP (SiS 6326) graphics card. Used a floppy drive based install program from samsung to ready the hard drive and installed win98se. No problems. Installed everything else and the unofficial win98se service pack. Also installed VIA drivers for the MVP chipset, the ones VIA said were good for all MVP's. 4.34 I think they were, I can check this if necessary. Actually runs quite well! But although I was able to enable DMA for the CDROM it just wont enable for the HDD. I go to the relevant checkbox and tick it. Restart and when I go back to check: DMA is still not enabled. I am somewhat stumped on this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Cant enable DMA on old K62 system win98se

With a system that old, you may need to enable it in the BIOS too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Hi,
    thanks for the input. I have had a look but cannot find anything that seems relevant in bios. Any ideas what I'm looking for?

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

it might be that the system is not even capable of dma. i have system of that vintage here that has the same problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the input alsenior. I think it is dma capable as the CDROM has this box ticked in the relevant win98 area. Also in the BIOS I have options for the various IDE channels: IDE Primary Master UDMA (for example) and then the option is auto or disable. Obviously they are all currently set to auto as they were at default. I think you maybe are thinking of older sckt7 chipsets which didnt have DMA. I have been told that some of them said they supported it but didnt but that VIA MVP's all did.

Anyway I've been looking thru the BIOS. When I use the IDE HDD auto detection it picks up the samsung as a 12GB drive and gives me 3 options. So far I've been only useing the default one this gives me: CYLS: 1662, HEAD: 255, PRECOMP: 0, LANDZ: 26492, Mode: LBA. The other 2 options I can take are Mode: Normal or Mode: Large. Some of the other values are different as well.

Any ideas on these settings?

Thanks

Try using the latest Hyperion drivers from VIA. Although optimised for later chipsets, they should be backwards compatible too. Make sure you tick the IDE related box during installation.

It sounds like everything in BIOS is OK. The other thing to check is that there isn't a jumper on the back of the hard drive forcing it to run in PIO mode.

Thanks

Ah yes of course the drive may have a jumper. I'll have a look at that. Then try and either reinstall the current drivers or try newer ones as you suggest. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Okay I have sussed it. Realiseing that the drive was ata66 and the mobo was ata33 I googled the drives serial number and found a hit to a util called sutil on samsung website. Booting to dos and useing this util I limited the drive to ata33 and hey presto the drive is now useing udma33. Better than PIO I hope!

Thanks

Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by vapd View Post
    Better than PIO I hope!
    Depends which PIO mode it was running, but it may well be a bit faster (though ATA 33 ain't exactly speedy!)

Thanks

A bit faster? It should be faster full stop due to the insane CPU overheads that come with PIO

Nice trouble shooting mate - Would have taken a while to spot that

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Ah, this thread makes me reminisce about my first PC (other than my parents') which I bought in 1999 - a K6-2 400 and a Voodoo3 2000!

Thanks

Thanks all! It was the suggestion from scrandman that the drive may have a jumper for somthing like this (it didnt) that got me thinking about ata33/66. When I found the util and saw that it could set the udma I thought it would work... and it did! Yeah!

Now there is one further problem with the rig that I thought would go away when I had got everything sorted. But it is persisting. When I shutdown I get one long and 4 short beeps. Like a bios message. Only it dosnt happen on startup, just shutdown. It dosnt happen on a restart either. I've looked the code up even though it dosnt happen on startup and there dosnt seem to be a listing for it. Its an award bios. Any help on this particular issue would be welcome!

Thanks

Seem to recall there was an issue with Windows shutting down before all the hardware had done its necessary shutdown stuff. There was a hotfix issued. Unfortunately I've no recollection of whether or not this was XP or Win 2K as it was of that era.

To Agent - there are actually PIO modes (4 & 5 IIRC) that are faster that ATA 33, but I've no idea how CPU overhead figures in the whole equation though. Chances are ATA 33 will be better anyway as it is improved technology (although that doesn't always bring real-world improvements - SATA being a classic example).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrandman View Post
    To Agent - there are actually PIO modes (4 & 5 IIRC) that are faster that ATA 33, but I've no idea how CPU overhead figures in the whole equation though. Chances are ATA 33 will be better anyway as it is improved technology (although that doesn't always bring real-world improvements - SATA being a classic example).
    ATA33 / ATA-4 / ATAPTI 4 / whatever you want to call it has a maximum theoretical limit of 33.3MB/s
    PIO 4 & 5 has a maximum theoretical limit of 20 and 25 MB/s respectively (+higher CPU overheads)

Further more, PIO 4 & 5 is strictly for Compact Flash. It is not used for hard disks
    There is no PIO protocol that is faster than ATA33.

Thanks

Hi scrandman, the win98se unofficial service pack includes the shutdown patch, so it should be installed. I remember having to download it for a few PC's back in the 'old' days. Trouble is that I dont remember any of them beeping at me before or after I nstalled the patch. I will however try and find it and install it again, see if it helps....

Thanks

Okay the shutdown patch isn't relevant. Its got to be something else, any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information