Thread: Serious display issues with Cinema 4D and new build rig

Thanks

Serious display issues with new rig from Computer Planet Manchester!

Please ignore this post completely as all my technical issues were caused by faulty hardware and shoddy workmanship by the supplier who built my computer, Computer Planet Manchester. None of my techincal issues were in any way caused by the software.

Warning: Under no circumstances should anyone consider buying a computer from Computer Planet in Manchester. I spent nearly £3000 and have gone through over 10 pure months of hell and have experienced the worst customer service possible. I have also reported them to trading standards and the Pc Association too. Avoid at all costs, you have been warned.
    (These are my personal views only and in no way represents the opinions of anyone else here on the board)
    Last edited by vreb; 01-12-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I wanted to update my topic to fairly reflect new information I have just found out about this problem which was NOT caused by Maxon.

lost
    Thanks
    • llololloy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte p67a-ud4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500s
      • Memory:
      • 8gb ddr3
      • Storage:
      • 60gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • w10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" + 2 * 23" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200meg

Re: Serious display issues with Cinema 4D and new build rig

I've not used a 3d package in maybe 10 years or more, but from what you've put my thoughts are centered around the grapics card and the settings witin Cinema4D.
    I'm assuming 3d packages still use opengl, try looking into that? (you state enhanced opengl, are there any oter opengl settings you could faff with?)
    is it possible some display settings within cinema4d are wrong (like frame buffer etc...(if they even have settings like that)), were the settings you adjusted within 4d or general graphics driver settings?
    could you try buying the cheapest pci-e grapics card off ebay (for like a tenner) and test that? If all works (albeit slowly) then you know it's card related, if not then it could be something else., but could still be card related.
    Could you try rolling back to xp? (I think the vista eula allows this)
    try only using 1 stick of mem (but test a few) in case you have a hard error on one or 2 sticks.

Hope I've been of use.
    MediaPC - ASRock H61M-DGS - 8gb ddr3 - i3 2120 - R9 270 - antec fusion black - lg ggc-h20l - windows 10 - denon avr-1911 - JVC 58" 1080p RPTV
    Server - MSI Z77A-G45 - 16gb ddr3 - i7 2600k - 4u Rack mountable - sas 1068e + expander - 3ware 9650se - 16 * 2tb + 2 * 3tb - TBS 6984, 6284 & 6920 - 2 * astrometa dvb-c - windows 7 pro
    My PC - See my system on left

hexus.trust

Thanks

Hi llololloy,

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out, it is greatly appreciated. I think I have tried most of your suggestions already, without any affect so far. I did consider removing ram and testing each stick but as everything else works perfectly and I am using the 64-bit version of Cinema 4D. I doubt and certainly hope the ram couldn't be the issue here.

My next port of call was something a clever fella (donkey42) over on hardware forums suggested. Changing my paging file to a higher amount. So far it does actually seem to have made a difference to stability, but it will require lengthy testing periods to make sure it has completely solved the issue.

My other thought was SLi technology on my graphics card. Maybe Cinema 4D doesn't like SLi and as my card does use this technology to run 2 cards together, maybe its this and it just needs de-activating.

Thanks again m8,

Jay

Registered+
    Thanks

Are you by any chance using a version of vista, I and many of my collegues have had major problems with the OS crushing the output on 3DS max. The reason was the Aero interface colliding with the 3D engine used for the view points. Dunno about your situation but good luck.

Splash

You seem to have gone through a hell of a lot of troubleshooting, which probably means that you have already done this but... Have you approached Maxon for support on the issue? That machine should be more than capable of throwing this kind of data around, and this smacks to me of an application issue more than anything else. If I'd paid night on £650 for a piece of software I'd expect awesome support to go with it.

Thanks

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply but I have not had chance to get online recently.dhyta23,I am using vista 64-bit, so maybe our problems are related.

Splash, I know what you mean. I have gone to extreme measures to try and rectify this issue and have now given up. However, Maxon have indeed provided FIRST CLASS support and could not have actually been more helpful either. There tests and analaysis of my bug reports showed that it must be a hardware related issue too, which doesn't suprize me considering the quality of testing Computer Planet seem to use when building computers.

However, if it was a hardware problem it would surely affect more than just Cinema 4D wouldn't it?

Thanks for your time though and all the best,

vreb
    Last edited by vreb; 20-08-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks

Hi Jay,

I've been using cinema for a while now, and I do remember having some graphics card problems such as the viewport refresh rate being too low and ghosting tried turning off Vsync? - thats quite common even in everyday OS use (dragging windows about and leaving a trail). Solved other viewport problems with a driver change.

I'd get more specific with the gfx card settings, try turning anti-aliasing off on your control panel, create a profile for cinema4D turning bits and bobs on and off and compare results.

I think you need to appreciate that this is not an exact science - you're going a little ott by blaming Maxon, I think you've simply stumbled upon a hardware set up that clashes with some openGL code.

Come to think of it before SP1 for vista there was no OpenGL support. considered that? And definately disable Aero when using cinema4d they hate each other

Brasco
    Last edited by brasco; 07-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks

Hi Brasco, thanks for the reply. I have edited my original response above as at the time of writing it I was extremely frustrated and annoyed, and was very unfair to Maxon support who have actually been very extremely professional and helpful.

Its just a very frustrating situation to be in and I have tried all the settings you recommended many times in the past few weeks with no improvement. I also understand this is a difficult type of problem to solve due to all the technologies involved, but I wouldn't have expected to get such problems in the first place after the amount I spent on my hardware either.

I am now looking at the possibility that this could be related to the graphics card only and even the company that built my computer, Computer Planet in Manchester. I suppose there is nothing more I can do.

Cheers,

Jay
    Last edited by vreb; 20-08-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Thread Information