Thread: Computer won't start Please Help

Registered+
    Thanks

Computer won't start Please Help

I have a Mesh Computer which is out of warranty and I haven't used it for a while. I have a average computer knowledge and was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I decided to link my computer up to my new TV but when I switched it on there was nothing. The lights were on but nobody was home. I tried it on another monitor and the same thing happened. I tried the cable on another computer and it works fine. I then opened the case up and all the fans are running and the power light is on in the motherboard? When it was not being used it has been unplugged and not on a power supply. When I turn the computer on the screen does not acknowledge that the computer is plugged in.

I was wondering where would be the best place to start replacing parts. Currently it has an ASUS motherboard and NVIDA Graphics card. Do you think it could be the graphics card broken or the back up battery flat? I haven't got a clue where to start and I don't really want to replace everything. Also it is a little dusty inside could that have caused any issues?

Thanks for your help

Tim

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Computer won't start Please Help

Hi bud

This could be a long weekend for you, but you should start at the very beghinning....the simplest of simple things.

Power leads to PC and to monitor, yes?
    Which outputs on your graphics card do you have? How many? Do you need to choose a different input option on your monitor or tv?

Maybe the PC is fine, but the signal from the PC to the screen isn't what the monitor expects?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

If it were me then I would just clear the BIOS (by taking out the button battery) from the Mobo and leave it out for a good few mins. It should hopefully reset the BIOS and work.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The CMOS battery (not BIOS - BIOS is in Flash EEPROM - there is no BIOS battery and you can't clear the BIOS) may have become discharged if it hasn't been used for a while, so I would start by replacing that. If that works, you will have to reconfigure the computer in set up. (The CMOS is a samll area of memory that stores BIOS configuaration information and also contains a real time clock to maintain computer time when it is switched off)

Otherwise, as Zak posted, take out all the components, and replace thm one by one - even the graphics card, as the contacts n he connector may be a bit iffy, and reseating it will cure that.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The CMOS battery (not BIOS - BIOS is in Flash EEPROM - there is no BIOS battery and you can't clear the BIOS) may have become discharged if it hasn't been used for a while, so I would start by replacing that. If that works, you will have to reconfigure the computer in set up. (The CMOS is a samll area of memory that stores BIOS configuaration information and also contains a real time clock to maintain computer time when it is switched off)

Otherwise, as Zak posted, take out all the components, and replace thm one by one - even the graphics card, as the contacts n he connector may be a bit iffy, and reseating it will cure that.
    Thanks for the correction peterb . I just quickly wrote it without thinking (at work)
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Thanks for the correction peterb . I just quickly wrote it without thinking (at work)
    On a Saturday - baaaaad! (Still, if the wx is like it is here...)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks

Cheers for your help so far I will try replacing the battery. This probably sounds silly if it is the battery which is flat does the computer not run unless it is charged? Will repalcing it make the computer start up but just not in windows?

I have tried unplugging then re-plugging the components in but it didn't work. I forgot to mention that I have had it working before on the TV and Monitor and it was running through the VGA cable it was just while i was storing it for a while that it stopped working.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks

Been thinking about this... the battery only holds configuration settings when the computer is completely disconnected from power, so even without, it should boot up into the BIOS set up screen where you can reset date and time etc. Even if that battery is flat, I would still expect it to boot to the set up pages.

Can you try it with original monitor? Are the settings on the TV's PC input connections correct?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information