Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You might remember me having problems... well...

Thanks

Re: You might remember me having problems... well...

I have decided what to do.

It's going to be a new Shuttle, a new CPU and new memory, bring through my old (used once 9800 GT), hard drives and disk drive (although originally run it without an hdd or optical).

If that doesn't work, well then I don't know what to do.

Tim
    Current: Shuttle SX58J3, i7 950, Corsair 16GB, 2x 1.5TB, XFX 6850 1GB, 3x Samsung 23" 1920x1080, 5760x1080 = AWESOME!

Laptop: Vaio Z (13.3")
    Hexus Trust ¦ Shmee150.co.uk (Supercar Blog)

Thanks

So.... brand new Shuttle (Case/PSU/Mobo), brand new CPU, brand new Memory, thought working GFX, and we're not posting. Have not installed any drives yet, just the above. And it's not posting. What do you think?

EDIT: Scrap that, apparantly it's now working, in Windows and everything, PHEW!!!!!! I will have more problems, but I'm going to make new posts about them specifically.

Many thanks for all input, I'll probably need it again when working out what's wrong with the non-working one before RMA'ing everything.

Tim
    Last edited by Shmee150; 29-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Current: Shuttle SX58J3, i7 950, Corsair 16GB, 2x 1.5TB, XFX 6850 1GB, 3x Samsung 23" 1920x1080, 5760x1080 = AWESOME!

Laptop: Vaio Z (13.3")
    Hexus Trust ¦ Shmee150.co.uk (Supercar Blog)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shmee150 View Post
    Hey everyone, Basically I've been through 5 computers in the last year, the threads about them are these:

And guess what, it's died again.

Basically I am in need of an expert, someone who gives tech support to the techies, to help me try and get this fixed. If you think you can or know somebody who might be able to, I would be delighted to meet up and see what we can come up with. I don't want to spend any more 000s on my computer and am very close to just chucking it and buying a Dell or something, but obviously finances don't agree right now so fixing this one would be the best option!

Let me know if you think you might be able to help me, I think I need somebody with both knowledge and test parts to work out what on earth is causing this.

Many thanks,

Tim
    Are your PayPal problems solved? because as I posted elsewhere, the solution is at modeeworld

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Shuttles tend to use server grade PSUs so they tend to be quite reliable and both of mine are working still after years of usage(Shuttle SN41G2 and Shuttle SD37P2).

Most of the time people tend to stuff too many higher power consumption components into their Shuttles and hence it is no wonder that they can have issues. It is not only the power consumption but probably also heat too that is the main issue and I make sure that the working temperatures of the components are not too high. This means more noise as I have the cooling fans spinning at a decent speed for sufficient air flow through the system. However this means the system is a bit noisy.

People want these small SFFs to be ultra quiet with desktop components and hence keep cooling at a minimum by keeping fans spun down to the lowest settings or using ultra quite low CFM fans. TBH,this a recipe for disaster. Either put up with the noise or go for low power consumption components if you want lower noise.

Also RAM can be a major cause of issues with Shuttles(I had my share) and TBH a search on the Sudhian forums(biggest Shuttle users forum on the internet) and the compatibility lists will tell which RAM to use. Shuttles are picky with RAM generally and also make sure you check the ram voltage manually just in case it is wrong(the same with any motherboard TBH).

I would be inclined to think that something is wrong with your other components TBH or your power supply as your notebook even went kaput.

I would connect everything to a UPS as these will help protect against power issues which can destroy equipment if the house has poor wiring.

To the OP I would probably also try a new graphics card as this consumes the most power after your CPU so even an issue with this may cause serious problems.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 18-08-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks
    • Grymdawg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 C0 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12gig DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 74gig WD Raptor, 1TB F1 Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi 4870X2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ09 Black with window
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Syncmaster T220
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

I agree on the UPS that will solve your power woes.

Although its working now, how long do you think it will be before this happens again? 5 PCs in 1 year is pretty hefty! I would put the shuttle idea to bed and build something a bit more reliable, in the long run it will save you some money. I mean christ, things must be bad if you were considering a dell.

Whatever you decide to do, i hope it all works out for you and your shuttle demons leave you be

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information