Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: n00b built a PC, and it's all gone wrong!

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M1000
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

Unhappy n00b built a PC, and it's all gone wrong!

Hi everyone, I've just joined, and am currently in a state of desperation.

I decided not too long ago that I wanted to get into the PC gaming scene. So, on the advice of my friend, I decided to build my own PC. Everything went OK, bar a few things he helped me with due to me knowing the bare minimum about computers.

However, it all went quite badly wrong when it came to installing Vista Ultimate.

It took me two attempts to install it, freezing on the first. Since then, it has run, but very unpredictably, sometimes freezing at various stages before reaching the account login, sometimes freezing just after logging in, sometimes lasting a few hours and then...freezing.

Again on my friends advice, I tried to install XP instead. During installation, my PC kept restarting itself, with no warning or identifiable reason. So I tried to put Vista back on. Now I'm getting all sorts of errors and blue screens, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, etc. I am am my wits end.

I realise that this is a very broad range of problems that could have many answers. In which case, am I best turning to a professional? I am clearly out of my league in trying to fix this.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Splash

Re: n00b built a PC, and it's all gone wrong!

Memtest86+

It's looking like a RAM issue. Have you manually set the timings and voltages in the BIOS? If not do that and see if it fixes it, if it doesn't run Memtest86+ for a few hours and see if it throws up any errors and post back.

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

Well that's the issue, I currently have no OS installed, as it just freezes during the install process, that or restarts. I could try removing one of the sticks at a time and see if that works? I haven't tinkered with the RAM settings, just used them stock as they came, I wouldn't really know what I was doing. I know at the moment they're 5-5-5 or something

Thanks

If you find the RAM voltage for the RAM and make it is set to the same value in the BIOS it could solve your problem. Usually you press delete to get in the BIOS at the first screen that appears at boot.

Alternatively it could be faulty RAM, try 1 stick at a time to see if you get the same problem.

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I tried 1 stick at a time, the first stick still blue screened, the second went into the installation process, restarted got to 'complete installation', but then it restarted itself. It now just gets up to the point where the OS should pop up, but just restarts, and so the cycle continues. I just tried changing the voltage, but the restarting problem persists.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I had the exact same problem... Its your motherboard that is causing the issues m8

First time I got the problem was when I bought a new motherboard and CPU, the motherboard was DOA(Dead on Arrival) so I sent it back and everything was fine with the replacement. Second time I got the issue was the first warm day this summer(I say warm because it only got to 29 degrees yet my PC still couldn't handle it ).

First problem was faulty motherboard, northbridge not handling information correctly, and the second issue(same symptoms) was the motherboard overheating, from my overclock

I would RMA your motherboard seeing though its new. You should get a new one in a week

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

Well I am now posting from my newly installed Vista pc. The problem seems to be OK, I installed a few Intel drivers that were missing, seems to be OK. However it has still frozen once for no real reason, though at the moment it's been on for a few hours with no problem. Looking good.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ss3goben View Post
    Well I am now posting from my newly installed Vista pc. The problem seems to be OK, I installed a few Intel drivers that were missing, seems to be OK. However it has still frozen once for no real reason, though at the moment it's been on for a few hours with no problem. Looking good.
    Sounds better but the problem is most likely still there... lurking.

I tried the same with short term results like you are experiencing but the next day it started with the issues again. Give it a couple of days. Hopefully it is a simple driver issue for you, I wasn't that lucky

Splash

Seriously, run Memtest. You don't run it from within Windows, you burn the ISO to disc and boot from that, then it runs automatically. While it *could* be an issue with your motherboard the seeming randomness is still pointing to RAM for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Seriously, run Memtest. You don't run it from within Windows, you burn the ISO to disc and boot from that, then it runs automatically. While it *could* be an issue with your motherboard the seeming randomness is still pointing to RAM for me.
    Agreed, this is your best course of action right now. It's a simple enough test, perform it with both sticks then individual sticks if you do get errors. You might have to give the ram some more voltage if they're falling over.

Thanks

Doesn't OCZ Reapers like juicy amounts of volts?

Definitely do what mrt9888 suggested, get into your BIOS and manually set your RAM voltages and timings.

Are you using 4x1gb sticks for a total of 4gb of RAM or are you using 2x2gb sticks?

Also the suggestion by Splash is SUPREME advice. Definitely run memtest86+. If your friend can help you out, he can burn you the CD from the ISO located here. Set your BIOS to boot from CD as first device and insert the memtest86+ CD. It runs automatically and with a PC like yours, it'll finish a single pass within 30 minutes (easily). So pop out, go watch some TV, come back later and if the bottom of the screen throws up errors you know there is an issue between your RAM and Motherboard. It does not mean there is DEFINITELY a hardware failure but it can help isolate the problem. There is also no translation on type of test ran and problems found. A working PC will pass memtest86+ with no errors all day long.

Simplicity is best, so when testing use 1 RAM stick at a time and ensure you try each and every RAM slot.

Registered+
    Thanks

I had that problem when my motherboard was slightly at an angle (more tightly screwed in on one end than the other which caused a very slight bend). Long shot, might be the cause though.

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

My joy was short lived, the problem does indeed remain. Now it's just freezing at random, and quite frequent intervals. I will give memtest a shot now. My elation at having my first PC is fading rapidly.

I am using 2x2GB OCZ reaper ram.
    Last edited by ss3goben; 02-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks

Rummaging around the net I can see OCZ 2x2GB Reaper HPC (Part Number OCZ2RPR10664GK) at 5-5-5-18 timings like 2.1v. Perhaps both the voltage and/or timings needs to be set manually in BIOS as per mrt9888 suggested before things are stable. Try that first before disassembly parts of your PC to test each ram stick individually with memtest86+.

Thanks

Set the correct (higher) voltage for the RAM in your BIOS and run Memtest86 like what people keep saying. You are just so completely wasting your time if you don't.

The standard voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v and your motherboard will assume this voltage unless you change it. Budget RAM like corsair value is designed to work at 1.8v but performance RAM often requires more volts.

The voltage adjustment in your BIOS might be to set it to 2.1v or it might be to set it at +0.3v (ie the standard 1.8v +0.3v gives you 2.1v)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

How about being patient eh?

He isn't an enthusiast user and if his BIOS has the hidden RAM settings then he might not be able to find them... He also probably has problems trying to get onto this site if his new PC is the only one he has.

There is also the possibility he has tried that and the PC is still not working but he has been unable to get onto the website to tell us this.

He has recently bought this PC so I still feel the best bet would be to send the components back to the supplier so they can do the testing and send a replacement of which ever component is playing up. The motherboard has the highest probability of being the culprit so I'd send that back with the CPU and memory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information