Thread: SATA Hard Drive dead! :(

OilSheikh

Angry SATA Hard Drive dead! :(

Today's the worst day of my life!

Sent an e-mail this morning and then switched off PC. Woke up later and switched ON and it kept hanging ( HDD front light constantly lit ) at the Updating ESCD screen.
    500GB HDD was detected in BIOS.
    Ran Samsung HUTIL - it didnt even see my disk.
    Later on in the day, I switched PC ON again and this time BIOS doesnt detect HDD. Tried putting jumpers, exhanging cables and conencting to another PC. Drive didn't get detected at all.

And, now I am further annoyed by the fact that I had some important files on the drive!

I am currently running PC off a spare 80GB HDD.

Anyone have any ideas?

@ Samsung!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: SATA Hard Drive dead! :(

RMA the drive and restore your backup onto a replacement?

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    RMA the drive and restore your backup onto a replacement?
    Didn't backup ....

OilSheikh

Trying Freezer method now.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Might not be the drive - it could be the hard drive controller on the mobo. Can you test another drive in the machine, or more importantly, the suspect drive in another machine, or put it in a USB caddy and see if can be read.

The freezer trick is only really useful in mechanical failure, particularly if the bearings seize up. You only have a limited time to recover the data (if it works) because as the drive warms up, the bearings may seize again.

If the the drive has failed and the data is essential, a data recovery company may be able to get it back. Cost will depend on the nature of thje failure, but start att about £350 upwards - some work on a no fix no fee basis. if the drive electronics have failed and that has to be repaired, or the platters removed and re-mounted on a test rig, then the cost is likely to be considerably more.

You are not alone in only considering the value of your data and the importance of backing up until after the event - but a hard drive is a mechanical device - and it will fail. The only unknown is when.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Might not be the drive - it could be the hard drive controller on the mobo. Can you test another drive in the machine, or more importantly, the suspect drive in another machine, or put it in a USB caddy and see if can be read.

The freezer trick is only really useful in mechanical failure, particularly if the bearings seize up. You only have a limited time to recover the data (if it works) because as the drive warms up, the bearings may seize again.

If the the drive has failed and the data is essential, a data recovery company may be able to get it back. Cost will depend on the nature of thje failure, but start att about £350 upwards - some work on a no fix no fee basis. if the drive electronics have failed and that has to be repaired, or the platters removed and re-mounted on a test rig, then the cost is likely to be considerably more.

You are not alone in only considering the value of your data and the importance of backing up until after the event - but a hard drive is a mechanical device - and it will fail. The only unknown is when.
    Tried on another PC .. BIOS gets stuck at Detetcing Master ....on startup
    Tried Knoppix and Freezing method - none worked
    Hdd is warm and spinning just not getting detected!

Thanks

Might be worth a try in an external USB caddy (one with a separate power supply) but it looks as if the interface may be damaged. However, before trying anything else, have you tried a different signal cable?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

OilSheikh

Yup, tried with different cables.

Now, have to look for a SATA caddy...

What about the circuit board, peterb? You think replacing that can fix things?

Thanks

Have you tried plugging it into a different port?

Also, check out this website, might be of some help:
    http://www.infopackets.com/news/hard...isappeared.htm

And in the future, always have a backup

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Killedyou View Post
    Have you tried plugging it into a different port?

Also, check out this website, might be of some help:
    http://www.infopackets.com/news/hard...isappeared.htm

And in the future, always have a backup
    Thanks mate. Will try it out. Still looking for a SATA caddy!
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 16-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    What about the circuit board, peterb? You think replacing that can fix things?
    Yes it can do, if it is that which is broken and the board is easily detached.

Normally you will find the circuit boards from any sized hard drive in the range will work, you don't necessarily have to get the circuit board from another 500GB but the make and model will have to be the same.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

OilSheikh

Trying now with a caddy.

Using a 2.5" SATA Caddy with this 3.5" HDD and Vista and XP keep on asking for drivers.

Eh?

OilSheikh

Currently freezing overnight.

If this doesn;t work...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Trying now with a caddy.

Using a 2.5" SATA Caddy with this 3.5" HDD and Vista and XP keep on asking for drivers.

Eh?
    I'm not quite sure how you cobbled this together, but a 2.5" bus-powered caddy is unlikely to provide enough juice to power up a 3.5" drive (external 3.5" enclosures have their own power supply).

Currently freezing overnight.
    sigh... it seems whenever you find a forum thread about a faulty hard drive, someone always suggests putting it in the freezer. With a modern drive with FDB bearings you're far more likely to make things worse than better.

This will naturally be the cue for a chorus of "But I put my drive in the freezer and it worked!!!!" but, believe me, that was in spite of the fact that you froze it, not because...

Splash

As I stated in some other thread regards the freezer trick - if the data comes under the category of "it'd be nice to have it back, but not vital" then I suppose it's worth a shot. If you *really* need the data back you should be looking at either restoring from backup (which isn't an option in this case, perhaps it will be in future?) or professional data recovery. Popping the disk in the freezer and in fact *anything* you do to the disk in an attempt to get the data back on the cheap runs a serious risk of making further attempts unsuccesful.

What's the lesson to be learned here? Keep good backups, test them regularly. Yes, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry, but those backups will be worth their weight in gold when you need them (and believe me, if you have *any* data that's important to you you *will* need them). A hard disk is always going to fail, it's a mechanical device and the longer time goes on the more wear and tear it's exposed to, so the more likely failure is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    As I stated in some other thread regards the freezer trick - if the data comes under the category of "it'd be nice to have it back, but not vital" then I suppose it's worth a shot. If you *really* need the data back you should be looking at either restoring from backup (which isn't an option in this case, perhaps it will be in future?) or professional data recovery. Popping the disk in the freezer and in fact *anything* you do to the disk in an attempt to get the data back on the cheap runs a serious risk of making further attempts unsuccesful.

What's the lesson to be learned here? Keep good backups, test them regularly. Yes, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry, but those backups will be worth their weight in gold when you need them (and believe me, if you have *any* data that's important to you you *will* need them). A hard disk is always going to fail, it's a mechanical device and the longer time goes on the more wear and tear it's exposed to, so the more likely failure is.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I back up to tape after I nearly lost some important data. It was expensive, an Ultrium 2 drive and SCSI card to go with it cost about £600 - but that wasn't a lot more than the cost of attempting to get my data back from a recovery company - and now I have some peace of mind.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information