Thread: Help - desktop/applications unavailable

Thanks

Unhappy Help - desktop/applications unavailable

My main PC has spazzed out suddenly, I can't fully repair it unassisted...

It's running Vista 64. First sign of something wrong was that it took about 20mins to boot up, it successfuly(ish) restarted in safe mode and I was able to perform a system restore. Restarting normally took me to the login screen and I logged as usual (there is one admin account and one guest account). The impasse I've reached is that my desktop is clear, and hardly any applications work (VLC will open a file, but no browsers work at all, Office applications cannot open files and various other oddities).

If I right-click on the desktop and click refresh I get the error message "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable..." and I think that is the root of my problem. Naturally my C:\ drive is a partition on a fixed drive that has not (completely) failed and has not been removed. I can browse in explorer to my desktop and see my shortcuts and files there, but none can be used without producing that error message.

If there any way to restore my desktop, does it backup automatically? I'd just settle for a working windows installation (i.e. able to use applications and access my data, all my important files are on a separate partition) as I don't have time to reinstall windows at the moment as I'm flying off on hols shortly, not bothered about settings and the like. In fact I really need to be printing out tickets right now....any help greatly appreciated!!

(BTW I'm typing this on a separate netbook that's working fine, so I can download any diagnostic tools or fixes onto this and transfer by USB stick)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Jay
    Thanks

Re: Help - desktop/applications unavailable

can you create a new account?
    □ΞVΞ□

3. Received thanks from:

JPreston (05-07-2009)

Splash

As Jay says - create a new account, then copy the contents of c:\users\%profilename% across.

5. Received thanks from:

JPreston (05-07-2009)

Thanks

Cheers, that's done it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thread Information