Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Basically I have a 4GB of OCZ DDR2 RAM, but one of the 2GB sticks has failed. Basically I'm not sure what to do because one of the sticks still works and would be good to use it still, but my RAM is no longer available as far as I know.

    So the questions I need answering are:

    1, Will any other set work with my existing stick, if so which ones?

    2, I can only find 2x1GB sets of 2GB which would not allow the stick I already have to work in dual channel, so does anybody know where I can individual 2GB sticks? And would it even work in dual channel with my existing stick anyway?

    3, 2GB sets are not really any cheaper than 4GB sets, so thus I may as well get a 4GB set and have 6GB, if the above questions are not fruitfully answered, so what 4GB sets would work with my existing stick?

    Thanks for your time

  2. #2
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    89 times in 81 posts
    • Zhaoman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock P45-R2000 Wifi
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Q6600 2.4Ghz (400Mhz FSB)
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS 800Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 640Gb WD Caviar AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 dual-slot
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 550W (black beauty!)
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora 3D
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64 Home Premium
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    what speed is your ram running at? you just need a same capacity stick of ram that runs at the same speed for it to work. there are plenty of single 2gb ddr2 ram sticks on scan.

    http://www.scan.co.uk

    thats the website.

    it's not too expensive to bag yourself a pair of ddr2 ram these days so getting a new pair altogether might not cost much more than getting a single stick.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    I was under the impression though that they had to be "matched" or at the very least be based on the same chipset, which not all DIMMS are. Is that a load of rubbish then? My currents sticks are only at 667MHz.

  4. #4
    Resident Hexus Folder Golden Dragoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    88 times in 73 posts
    • Golden Dragoon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • 1045T X6@ 4.0ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 64GB Crucial M4 + 500GB & 2TB Deskstars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Infiniti
      • Operating System:
      • 7 + OS X

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Idealy the should be matched, but we don't live in an ideal world, I am running 8gb 2 sets of 2 different 2x2gb, sure they may well both be geil ram, but they are different speeds (the slower set runs fine at the speed of the others with a little voltage help ), and am pretty sure they are different ic's
    My brothers pc has some kingston value ram running in dc mode with some expensive crucial.
    It isn't a nessesity to have them matched, but it can help with troubleshooting incase one of the sticks isn't fully compatible for some reason.

    Edit: Oh and if you get 2x1gb, most motherboards will allow you to populate channel 1 with them and put the 2gb in channel 2 and it should work as dc as previously my brother was running 1x1gb and 2x512mb just fine.
    *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Churchill
    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

  5. #5
    Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    4,436
    Thanks
    505
    Thanked
    351 times in 252 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    AFAIK OCZ have a lifetime warranty on their memory, why not just contact them and get the duff stick replaced?

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  6. #6
    Uber Geek
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Leeds, W Yorks
    Posts
    598
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Also, which OS are you running?

    If you're running any 32-bit OS, then there's no point having more than 4GB, as Windows can't address it unless you're running Windows 2003 Enterprise or Datacentre editions.

    If you're running 64-bit, however, then XP x64, Vista x64 and Win7 x64 can address the extra memory.

  7. #7
    mutantbass head Lee H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    M28, Manchester
    Posts
    14,204
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    671 times in 580 posts
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    AFAIK OCZ have a lifetime warranty on their memory, why not just contact them and get the duff stick replaced?

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/
    Yeah, get the memory sent back to them.

    If the memory is not available any longer they may well substitute the memory for another 4 Gb offering that's available.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragoon View Post
    Idealy the should be matched, but we don't live in an ideal world, I am running 8gb 2 sets of 2 different 2x2gb, sure they may well both be geil ram, but they are different speeds (the slower set runs fine at the speed of the others with a little voltage help ), and am pretty sure they are different ic's
    My brothers pc has some kingston value ram running in dc mode with some expensive crucial.
    It isn't a nessesity to have them matched, but it can help with troubleshooting incase one of the sticks isn't fully compatible for some reason.

    Edit: Oh and if you get 2x1gb, most motherboards will allow you to populate channel 1 with them and put the 2gb in channel 2 and it should work as dc as previously my brother was running 1x1gb and 2x512mb just fine.
    Why do they ideally need to be matched? As long as they work is there actually much of a speed difference? I was under the impression though that the ICs had to be the same in order to run in dual channel.

    Could you explain further last bit again? I'm not sure what you mean, how will it be able to populate 1 channel with two DIMMs?


    Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    AFAIK OCZ have a lifetime warranty on their memory, why not just contact them and get the duff stick replaced?

    [can't post url due to lack of posts on my part]
    I've rang OCZ and they told me that the Life Time Warranty is only valid the US, and I'm in the UK.

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiGuru View Post
    Also, which OS are you running?

    If you're running any 32-bit OS, then there's no point having more than 4GB, as Windows can't address it unless you're running Windows 2003 Enterprise or Datacentre editions.

    If you're running 64-bit, however, then XP x64, Vista x64 and Win7 x64 can address the extra memory.
    Yeah I know, I'm running Vista x64.

  9. #9
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    89 times in 81 posts
    • Zhaoman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock P45-R2000 Wifi
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Q6600 2.4Ghz (400Mhz FSB)
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS 800Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 640Gb WD Caviar AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 dual-slot
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 550W (black beauty!)
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora 3D
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64 Home Premium
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    'matched' sticks simply mean the two sticks have been tested, and guaranteed, by the manufacturer to work together. as long as the two sticks are the same size and speed it doesn't matter if they are packaged together or not. my cousin got a new stick of memory for her laptop and it was a different speed from her original one but they still work fine; although im not sure if they are in dual channel. one thing you can be sure of: same size, same speed = dual channel ready

  10. #10
    SiM
    SiM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,787
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    633 times in 422 posts
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Yantorsen View Post
    I've rang OCZ and they told me that the Life Time Warranty is only valid the US, and I'm in the UK.
    That is odd. I was able to RMA OCZ ram that I bought them second hand from these forums. I had to send it to Holland to get a replacement pair. All in all I was very impressed with their customer service.
    http://forums.hexus.net/classifieds-...-4-18-a-2.html

  11. #11
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Nick it!!

    Not that I am condoning theft!!


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    'matched' sticks simply mean the two sticks have been tested, and guaranteed, by the manufacturer to work together. as long as the two sticks are the same size and speed it doesn't matter if they are packaged together or not. my cousin got a new stick of memory for her laptop and it was a different speed from her original one but they still work fine; although im not sure if they are in dual channel. one thing you can be sure of: same size, same speed = dual channel ready
    Well I know speed doesn't matter you can just over or under clock one of the sticks to match the other. But I've always been told they have to have the same chip layout on the PCB of the DIMM, can anyone confirm this as true or false?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    That is odd. I was able to RMA OCZ ram that I bought them second hand from these forums. I had to send it to Holland to get a replacement pair. All in all I was very impressed with their customer service.
    That's odd, do you know how old your stick(s) was? OCZ have been really difficult to get through to, always engaged, but when I did get through the bloke (who sounded American, but I did ring the UK number) said he thought the Life Time Warranty only applied in the US, but he wasn't sure, so he said to ring back later. I haven't been able to get through since, engaged the whole time.

  14. #14
    Resident Hexus Folder Golden Dragoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    88 times in 73 posts
    • Golden Dragoon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • 1045T X6@ 4.0ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 64GB Crucial M4 + 500GB & 2TB Deskstars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Infiniti
      • Operating System:
      • 7 + OS X

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Yantorsen View Post
    Why do they ideally need to be matched? As long as they work is there actually much of a speed difference? I was under the impression though that the ICs had to be the same in order to run in dual channel.

    Could you explain further last bit again? I'm not sure what you mean, how will it be able to populate 1 channel with two DIMMs?
    Idealy because matched pairs are tested to work together with no problems, as for the last bit, most motherboards have 4 memory slots even though they only have two channels most of the time they are arranged channel 1 c.2 c.1 c.2, so if you populate the first slot with say 1gb of ram, you can get it to work in dual channel mode by populating slot 2 and slot 4 with 512mb sticks. I am not 100% sure if that is still relevent today as the last time I set up a system like that was in the athlon xp days (my brothers old pc) and I know that the A64's have intergrated mem controllers, but I can't see why it wouldn't work anymore.
    *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Churchill
    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

  15. #15
    SiM
    SiM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,787
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    633 times in 422 posts
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Yantorsen View Post
    That's odd, do you know how old your stick(s) was? OCZ have been really difficult to get through to, always engaged, but when I did get through the bloke (who sounded American, but I did ring the UK number) said he thought the Life Time Warranty only applied in the US, but he wasn't sure, so he said to ring back later. I haven't been able to get through since, engaged the whole time.
    Forget phoning them. I did it all online. Go to their support forum, the guys there are very helpful.
    Here is my thread:
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...233#post316233

  16. #16
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    89 times in 81 posts
    • Zhaoman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock P45-R2000 Wifi
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Q6600 2.4Ghz (400Mhz FSB)
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS 800Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 640Gb WD Caviar AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 dual-slot
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 550W (black beauty!)
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora 3D
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64 Home Premium
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb

    Re: Cheapest way to get 4 or 6GB

    When in doubt, check wikipedia:

    "Modules rated at different speeds can be run in dual-channel mode, although the motherboard will then run all memory modules at the speed of the slowest module. Some motherboards, however, have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of memory when attempting to use them in dual-channel mode. For this reason, it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules, which is why most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched-pair DIMMs. Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used." and it goes on to state that 'matched' means same IC layout too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

    but most mobos these days don't need 'matched' pairs, all of the memory from the major brands have been tested with all the mobos from the major brands so compatibility shouldn't be an issue with any 'odd' pair. from my humble experience, same capacity and same speed has always worked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. green wing (£5) and spaced (£3)seasons at tesco jersey
    By fathazza in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 12:11 AM
  2. wheres the cheapest place to but Antec slk3000 case?
    By farooqm in forum Chassis and Mods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
  3. Cheapest Place for a Athlon 64.
    By sja360 in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 01:10 AM
  4. Cheapest DVD player.... FREE!
    By silentphoenix in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-11-2003, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •