Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to get freeview on a digital TV PC card through cable?

Thanks

Is it possible to get freeview on a digital TV PC card through cable?

Hey everyone,
    I have just moved into a shared house for uni, which has no aerial on the roof, and has poor signal quality if I try to get channels through my Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT Dual DVBT PC TV Tuner, used with a power boosted tv aerial (£30 worth that you'd get in a large supermarket).
    I just wondered what the best way to get freeview channels through my tv card would be.

We have just got virgin cable fitted (broadband, tv and phone). There are a few small adapters to change the cable plug into a tv aerial socket. What would happen if I ran a cable from the cable with the tv aerial connected to it to my tv card. As it's cable, I would have thought nothing would happen. Would it just act as a normal tv aerial?

If this wouldn't work, what would any suggestions be for the cheapest way to achieve me goal! lol

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Is it possible to get freeview on a digital TV PC card through cable?

Virgin/NTL used to trasmit the anologue tv signal so if you were to plug the cable into a tv you would get bbc etc with some other stuff. I know they were turning all this off to free up space. I last tried it about 6months ago so worth a try if the tv card supports anologue aswell as digital.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by christiani View Post
    What would happen if I ran a cable from the cable with the tv aerial connected to it to my tv card. As it's cable, I would have thought nothing would happen. Would it just act as a normal tv aerial?
    Nothing.

Virgin transmits its programs over DVB-C, so your DVB-T card wouldn't be able to find a signal. In theory you could get a DVB-C card with CAM slot and the appropriate CI for your Virgin subscription card. But that is breaking the Ts & Cs of your Virgin contract, if pretty expensive to put together and there is no guarantee it will work.

I think your best bet would be to try and move the internal aerial around, trying to get a better signal. Try it in all manner of places, because of signal reflections some times you get a better signal in places you wouldn't expect to. Do you know where your nearest transmitter is? are you are the same side of the house as the transmitter? These are all things to think about.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have access to the attic in my room and, after taking a sneaky peek up there, found two aerials. However, after connecting one to my pc tv card, nothing happened. With the other one, it found a lot of freeview channels, but they all jerk (low signal I guess). Is there a way of amplifying the signal?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Sure there is. You can get signal boosters and splitters from most places like Tesco, Argos, probably Curry's and Comet as well as Maplin etc.

it's always best to put the booster close to the source, then any noice picked up on the way is minimised and you don't amplify that as well.

Thanks

Is it worth trying to move the aerials first? I don't know if I'll be able to sort a power source for a signal booster you see, as I'm renting in a shared house.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have access to the attic in my room and, after taking a sneaky peek up there, found two aerials. However, after connecting one to my pc tv card, nothing happened. With the other one, it found a lot of freeview channels, but they all jerk (low signal I guess). Is there a way of amplifying the signal?
    From the occasional maessing with my brothers install when I visit him, I think the aerial break-outs from the virgin systems are UHF and will work if plugged directly into a TV and tuned into.....but they are basically analog and therefore will not work when put through a DVB-T STB.

You can buy a DVB-C card for your PC if you want to get cable on it though or Virgin will sell you additional STBs.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    From the occasional maessing with my brothers install when I visit him, I think the aerial break-outs from the virgin systems are UHF and will work if plugged directly into a TV and tuned into.....but they are basically analog and therefore will not work when put through a DVB-T STB.

You can buy a DVB-C card for your PC if you want to get cable on it though or Virgin will sell you additional STBs.
    I'm only bothered about getting freeview to be honest, so just using the aerials in the attic is the best option I think.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm only bothered about getting freeview to be honest, so just using the aerials in the attic is the best option I think.
    Yes, deffo the best option

Thanks

I adjusted one of the aerials slightly, and it seems to have helped the signal a lot. The picture is still jerky every few seconds or so though. I'm starting to think it's the Terratec 2400i card I have. I also tried to scan for available channels in Windows media centre, and it didn't find anything at all, despite the fact that the Terratec home cinema program found all freeview channels. Any ides?

Registered+
    Thanks

the best way to boost the signal would be to use a masthead amp and PSU as below. the amp goes in the loft about a 1metre away from aerial max and the psu goes where ever the aerial goes to. The advantage is you dont need power in the loft and you boost the signal to the best possible. but if the aerial is not a digital aerial and is in the loft its not going to be brilliant.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Elec.../sd3084/p27286

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Elec.../sd3084/p61182

Thanks

I might look into the booster then. Before I do though, I have posted links to 3 pictures. The first is of the 3-way box that the two aerials were connected to, with another cable connected to go to the tv, which didn't work. The second pic is of the aerial I have currently connected to the card. The third pic is of the aerial I suspect is in the incorrect position. Do any of you know what type of aerials they are. Which one would be better at receiving a signal if swiveled into the correct position?

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Pic 3:

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Pic 3 looks like an 18 element, pointed on a vertical phase (repeater) transmitter. It's a bit, um, weedy. Especially for attic mounting.

Here's what I think you have: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36354

A so-called "high gain" antenna tends to start around the 43-element level. I reckon pic 2 is 43-element, give or take

Also, if you have a decent compass, you can work out which way to point with the help of the "I am in the aerial installation trade" tickbox on http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ - it will tell you the bearing from your address that all local transmitters are available from, as well as whether to mount vertically or horizontally (V or H in the Aerial Group column). When I moved here, I discovered I was pointing at *totally* the wrong place - the Bretch Hill transmitter (V) is nearby but analog-only, whereas the Oxford transmitter (H) is about 90 degrees away - somehow this detail was missed, even when I paid to get a professional in.
    Last edited by directhex; 24-09-2009 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

Thank you so much for the info. I'll be buying a compass and having a go today

Do you think a 52 element aerial such as the one listed below would make a noticeable difference when picking up signal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Registered+
    Thanks

the red box would be a diplexer usually if both aerials are connected to it. You used to use them to recieve from two transmitters i think if you use one with digital tv it confuses it as i know from my days selling aerial diplexers and digital didn't go well.

this may do the job. includes amp and new cable. allot of problems with digital aerials if poor quality cable.
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75506/...ial-Cable-16dB

you may still an amp if you go for the 52 element from ebay and need to replace the cable.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm in a house share, so the house doesn't belong to me. I can't attach anything outside as a result. Would the aerial on screwfix work in the attic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information