• Case:
      • AOpen H700B
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Too Small!

Unhappy Can't print from my 32bit XP PC to 64bit Win 7 Lappy & Printer

Hi there,

I really hope you folks can help me as I am starting to lose my sanity with a problem that has arisen since upgrading my mothers laptop to Windows 7 (Pro).

A bit of backstory:
    Originally both my computer and Mums were running XP Pro (SP3), because she used the printer more than I did we decided to put the printer in the study room (next to the lappy). The printer is an Epson RX500 All-In-One which is connected via USB to her lappy. I set up a Workgroup for both computers and have been able to print without problems from my PC, via the lappy, to the printer. I was happy with this as although it can scan and do other bits and bobs, I only really print stuff.

Present day:
    I upgraded (well, I did a clean install) the lappy to Windows 7 Pro a few days ago and after installing the usual stuff (Avast, Office, Drivers / updates for the software) I installed the Printer without a problem. I didn't have to install any software, I just plugged it in and turned it on and the lappy recognised it and installed everything correctly, I printed off a test page and a few other docs and everything works as it should.

The thing is I can no longer print from my XP PC as I used to. I have made sure both computers are using the same Workgroup (they are) and I can freely transfer files from PC to lappy (and back).

I removed the drivers from my XP PC before attempting any of the steps shown in the pics and restarted so I was starting from a "blank canvas" on my machine.

I have decided against posting the 17 pics of the steps I have taken to getting the thing working so I have a linky for you to follow to my Flickr page with the pics there Flickr Printer Problem Set.

I apologise for not including some in this post but it would be difficult for me to only post a couple of them as it follows the steps as I take them, if this is a problem let me know and I will see what I can do.

As can be seen by the pics in the set, I have tried to show the steps I have been taking to get the printer to work with my PC.

Let me make this clear before I get any replies saying I'm using the wrong drivers, I have visited the Epson site Here and have selected the drivers applicable to my XP machine (32bit). I have even gone so far as to download the XP x64, Vista (no driver available, just the "Print Module"), Vista x64 (as before), though I am unable to find any Win 7 drivers (or anything that might resemble drivers). I have tried the ones supplied by The US Epson site too with no luck.

I am really at a loss to what else I can do, I have tried installing the drivers on both machines (all versions after having uninstalled the previous set). This chap from the SevenForums seems to have a similar issue but I notice he is seemingly unable to install the printer on the 7 machine which differs in my case (I can and have installed the printer on the 7 lappy with no issue). see page 3 of that thread for his piccies.

I have tried this with both the UAC set to normal (i.e. untouched) but also with it set to its lowest setting and still there is no change. I do not understand why either machine won't just install using the drivers I have downloaded... I presume it would be easier if both machines were on Win 7 (x64) but I am not in a position to upgrade my PC right now.

I really hope you can help me with this, apologies for the wall of text but I wanted to get everything out in the air now rather than posting more / this info later on.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
    Harv

EDIT: Both PCs are "networked" via my Netgear DG834 (wired) router and as mentioned earlier, didn't have any trouble before and can both connect to the net / each-other without issue.
    Last edited by tocbg; 20-12-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling!

Thanks

Re: Can't print from my 32bit XP PC to 64bit Win 7 Lappy & Printer

Enable File & Print Sharing on Win7 machine

Thanks

4. Received thanks from:

tocbg (20-12-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • tocbg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel D915PBL
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.4ghz HT
      • Memory:
      • 3gb Kingston RAM
      • Storage:
      • 2x 160gb WD SATA Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon X700 Pro(!)
      • PSU:
      • AOpen 400w
      • Case:
      • AOpen H700B
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Too Small!

Hi Folks,

Typical really, I must have missed that thread, though I'm sure one of the chaps in the thread I linkied to mentioned it...
    I remember trying something similar to this so maybe that was where the confusion comes in!

YAY! It works! I printed a test page and that went through OK so I reckon that must have done the trick.
    Many thanks killie99, I can start glueing the hair I started to tweak out back on!

I really am grateful of such a quick reply, I truly do appreciate it!

I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and come back to report how I get on, fingers crossed it'll be OK!

Cheers,
    Harv

Thanks

glad you got it working

Thread Information