Thread: "Ç" error during BIOS POST?

Thanks

"Ç" error during BIOS POST?

Hi,
    I can't quite remember at what point the following started occurring, it may have been when I added another 1TB drive to my rig, but this is what is happening:

From a cold boot, as the BIOS starts up to post, it comes to my 150GB Velociraptor drive, and pauses before displaying a Ç sign next to the drive as shown in the photo here:
    Ahh ok so I can't post a photo yet, can I post a broken url?
    ht t p://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/emjayhaych/booterror.jpg

For the life of me I can't find any information about what this could mean on google, and I'm usually happy to muddle through forums for hours looking for answers before I ask for help myself.

What makes it stranger is that if I then hit the reset button, it'll go through POST without a hitch as if nothing was ever wrong, and boot into Windows (7 Ultimate RTM) just fine. I can restart as often as I want and I never get it again, it only happens after the pc's been switched off.

Anybody familiar with this? I can give any details of my setup needed, basics are:

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard
    Core 2 Duo E6750
    WD Velociraptor 150GB
    WD GreenPower 2TB x 2
    DVD-RW
    600W PSU (yeah probably overkill)

(Until very recently I had more drives in my system - 4x 1TB plus the Velociraptor, and because two of the mobo's sata ports are AHCI only and wouldn't play nice with my hdd's, I installed a PCIe SATA Raid card to handle one of the drives. I figured the above error was maybe to do with that, but now I've replaced them with the 2TB's so I've removed that PCIe RAID card and they're all connected to the onboard SATA's, and still the strangeness continues)

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
    It's not urgent as the reboot solves it, but it's bugging me

Thanks

Re: "Ç" error during BIOS POST?

*bump*

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

(img for lazy peeps)

Hmm, i was going to suggest trying different SATA ports, but you already have...

Do you have a case speaker hooked up, if so are you getting any beep codes? or does the board have an on-board LED readout?
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Yeah I have a case speaker hooked up, but no ominous beeps happen, I just get the usual one short POST beep a few seconds after powering up, and then it scans for hard drives and just silently stops on the above screen. My board has an LED readout too, and nothing shows up there.
    And yep I have tried different SATA ports to no avail. It almost seems as if the system/OS hard drive isn't receiving enough power soon enough upon powering up...Given that the system always boots fine upon pressing the reboot button... but that theory seems a bit silly.
    I've run a health check on my Velociraptor too, and it seems to be in fine working order.
    I'm just puzzled as to the meaning of the "cedilla" sign appearing...It's impossible to google it, nothing relevant comes up no matter what terms I try

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tranquillian View Post
    Yeah I have a case speaker hooked up, but no ominous beeps happen, I just get the usual one short POST beep a few seconds after powering up, and then it scans for hard drives and just silently stops on the above screen. My board has an LED readout too, and nothing shows up there.
    And yep I have tried different SATA ports to no avail. It almost seems as if the system/OS hard drive isn't receiving enough power soon enough upon powering up...Given that the system always boots fine upon pressing the reboot button... but that theory seems a bit silly.
    I've run a health check on my Velociraptor too, and it seems to be in fine working order.
    I'm just puzzled as to the meaning of the "cedilla" sign appearing...It's impossible to google it, nothing relevant comes up no matter what terms I try
    that theory is spot on mate not silly the psu will do just
    that try unplugging all hard drives other than the os disc and unplug dvd drive power plus all case fans and see if the problem gos away

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

I had a similar(ish) problem a long time ago when I installed a second hard drive on a PC. The second drive would never be located on a cold boot but was OK on a reboot. In my case it was definitely a power issue so you could well be on the right track.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

Ok, I'll try that next time my PC's off and see what happens, but say if it does, what's the solution for this? It's not like it's a cheap nasty basic PSU I've got, it's a XILENCE 600w Smart Fanless PSU, and seems in perfect health, surely with my system consisting of:

S775 mobo with onboard 9400 graphics
    Velociraptor HDD on SATA 1 port
    2x 2TB WD GreenPower HDD's on SATA 2 and 3
    Asus Xonar D2 PCI soundcard
    2 case fans

Surely a 600w quality PSU should have no trouble catering for that...What would my other option be?
    Anyway, cheers, I'll see what happens

Registered+
    Thanks

it depends on if the 12v and 5v rails have enough power it sounds to me like the 12v rail hasn't enough amps to spin up the discs ,when rebooting it takes less juice for things to work correctly
    you might well need a new psu with higher amps on the rails
    if your psu has more than one 12v rail you can try spreading the load between them its possible you have all/most on one rail

Thread Information