Thread: ASUS P7P55D + i5 CPU Red LED and no POST

Thanks

ASUS P7P55D + i5 CPU Red LED and no POST

Hi,

Ok, I’m currently building a PC, but have run into some problems,

Processor - Intel Core i5 661 3.33GHz Socket 1156
    Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D iP55 Socket LGA 1156
    Power Supply - OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU
    RAM - OCZ 4GB KIT (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz PC3 12800 GOLD SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT (8-8-8-26)

Firstly I have sent back both the motherboard and processor, so now I’m using new ones, as I was getting the same errors on them,

Ok, so everything is connected, RAM (2 sticks, both in the blue slots), PSU (20 + 4 pin connected, and the 4 pin atx - the other 4 pin slot is covered. ), etc, double checked everything is connected and the RAM is pushed all the way in. So I turn it on, it turns on for 5 seconds and the led by the processor turns red, and after 5 seconds it shutdown and repeats this cycle. Because the LED is red by the processor my first thought was to send both the processor and motherboard back, because they could be at fault.

But after receiving a new Motherboard and processor the issue is still there.
    In the motherboard guide it recommends the use of a 600w power supply, the one that’s currently in the PC is 500w (although it should at least POST with a 500w PSU ?, I want to try a 600w PSU to see if that will actually fix the problem – but I doubt it. )

The only time i’ve got it to beep is when the power plug hasn’t been connected to the graphics card. Now it doesn’t beep at all, it just turns on for 5 seconds and then turns itself off and continues this.
    Last edited by revolutionx; 13-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: ASUS P7P55D + i5 CPU Red LED and no POST

First off, does that motherboard support your CPU without a BIOS update and secondly try running with one stick of RAM in all the slots.
    Edit: According to Asus website your CPU is only officially supported from BIOS revision 1207 onwards.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

I'm not sure which BIOS revision it's currently on, but as it cannot POST I can't access the BIOS, so I assume it's probably under 1207 then,

I've just tried it with 1 stick of RAM, and still getting the same issue, the red LED by the processor and it turns on for a few seconds and then turns off again and repeats.

any suggestions.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

First off your PSU is more than enough, looking at your parts a 300W decent brand PSU would be ample - this is unless of course your PSU is to blame/broken.
    TBH the only think i can think of is that its down to the BIOS version, do you not know anyone near by with an original 1156 CPU for you to use?

And this has just occured to me, where is your graphics card??? That CPU has onboard graphics but needs a H55 board for the on-board graphics to be of any use - P55 boards don't support the on-chip GPU!
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

Graphics card - Asus GTS250 Dark Knight Edition 512MB DDR3

No, unfortunately not - don't know anyone with that CPU, so no sure what to do really, as i've already returned the motherboard and processor once, I really want to get this up and running.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

You could ask will they flash if you send it back to your supplier and test it with your CPU before they re-send it out. I'd expect you would be charged though in addition to shipping costs etc.

Thanks

Is there a lower model i5 that would just work, or a different motherboard that would support the CPU without a BIOS upgrade ?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionx View Post
    Is there a lower model i5 that would just work, or a different motherboard that would support the CPU without a BIOS upgrade ?
    The i5 750, which TBH i don't see why you didn't buy it in the first place as its faster and cheaper - not to mention it would work out the box

Thanks

Ok, so i'm in the process of sending back the current processor and getting it replaced with the i5 750, so i'll let you know when I receive the new one if it's solved the problem

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionx View Post
    Ok, so i'm in the process of sending back the current processor and getting it replaced with the i5 750, so i'll let you know when I receive the new one if it's solved the problem
    Where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking, they seem like a decent company if they're letting you swap it and replaced your previous CPU & motherboard.

Thanks

Ebuyer,

But because this one's a 'wrongly ordered item' then you have to pay for posting it to them, it was very impressive that they picked up the motherboard and processor before and replaced them for free because they were 'faulty'

Thanks

Right, so the new CPU got delivered today, and it's still the same, Red CPU LED comes on, and the computer turns on for a few seconds and then turns off again!,

the 4pin atx connector, and the 20 + 4 plug are connected.

I really don't know what to try next, this is ridiculous,

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Power Supply, it's 500w, or a motherboard one, (but i've already sent back the motherboard once and received a new one.)

I've been reading a lot online, and other people are having similar issues.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Well thanks for the update, still unfortunate your in this rut :/

Are you still using the P7P55D or a different board ? Also is there anyway your case may be shorting out ?

Thanks

Still using the same P7P55D Evo board,

And i've reseated the mobo a few times and made sure nothing is shorting out,

I don't know whether to try and replace the ASUS for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/188015

I've built a previous PC with an ASUS mobo and intel dual core cpu, and had no issues with that.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Maye go for a different brand board seen as Asus is getting you nowhere.

Thanks

Great news!

Right so today I went to a repair shop, and they tested it out of the case (mobo, ram, processor and psu ) - and guess what it worked!

They tested it with a different graphics card so I thought that could be an issue,

Tested it at home with my graphics card - (all out of the case, and it worked!!!! )

So I can see the BIOS now!

And I got one of these motherboard speakers ( http://www.clearpc.ca/catalog/images/speaker.JPG ) so I can actually hear the beeps.

So, I suspect something is wrong with the case, or I did something wrong,

Anyway - i'm going to test it again in the case to see if that's definitely the problem and report back!

Note - this wasn't a BIOS upgrade issue as I had previously thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information