Thread: No image on my screen!

Thanks

No image on my screen!

Woke up this morning turned my laptop and pc on, and then went to get some breakfast. Came back and my pc was but the screen power light was flashing, and there no image on it. I unscrewed the cable and tried it with another now, but still nothing on the screen :|

The other odd thing is that it will beep, but I don't think its getting to windows. The speakers are on but no windows tune.

Some other info: It has been turned off for the last 4 months as the electricity to the house would shut off- found the problem was a faulty RDA. But in the last two days it would boot into windows, but no mouse function at all or any other function (e.g ctrl+alt+del). Also while playing Empire Total War on one particular part of the map, it would act funny......it would be slow and the cursor would take ages to changed (e.g putting troops from ship onto land)

Any ideas?

edit: only changes have been two new fans- one at the back to take hot air out, and another small fan at the front to draw air in. Green light on the motherboard is on. The screen I have is samsung syncmaster 226bw.

Another thing that is odd is that in the top left of the screen it will flash analogue then digital. It does this when the pc is turned on at the start anyway, but is anything significant ? Pressing the screen menue button give me a box which says to check signal cable, and then under it says analogue.
    Last edited by AledJ; 02-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

Re: No image on my screen!

Ok very odd! The small fan I had put at the front of the case seems to have been the issue. I unplugged it from the motherboard, and the screen worked. It got into windows but then the screen went again, and I think it has just rebooted (just heard a single beep)

Thanks

Ok just changed the back fan out for the old one and still the same issue. It will no go through the windows load screen. I will then get to the welcome screen where it will flicker to black then back to normal. It will then get to the desktop screen and then the screen goes blank. After a minute I will hear one short beep.

edit-I'm in the bios now so the monitor is not the issues- well i don't think it is.
    Last edited by AledJ; 02-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks

In the bios where it has the voltage readings the 12v reading shows 5.104v highlighted in red.

power supply= enermax 450W from late 2003

Could it be the power supply or graphics card (mind you the gfx card fan is running) ?

Does anyone have any advice ??
    Last edited by AledJ; 06-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks

Just had another thought. When I was cleaning the dust from inside the pc before installing the new fan, I had to remove a lot of dust from the heat sink. The heat sink is held in place by two leave arches. I did open these to try and take the heat sink off, but it was stuck fast and I didn't attempt to move it that much. Could that be the issues? Its strange if it is as when I put the fan in about a month ago, I did use the pc for 3 days and it was ok.

Thanks

Someone must have some idea?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    Someone must have some idea?
    You've had six tries yourself

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    Just had another thought. When I was cleaning the dust from inside the pc before installing the new fan, I had to remove a lot of dust from the heat sink. The heat sink is held in place by two leave arches. I did open these to try and take the heat sink off, but it was stuck fast and I didn't attempt to move it that much. Could that be the issues? Its strange if it is as when I put the fan in about a month ago, I did use the pc for 3 days and it was ok.
    Prob not the issue, if the thermal paste has dried then it will cause trouble but you should be able to boot before it goes tits up.

I have to give the standard answer I'm afraid...

Have you reseated all components? tried with a different CPU/RAM/HDD/GFX/PSU ? Taken out all but 1 stick of RAM (then swap them around in case one is a dud) ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    You've had six tries yourself

Prob not the issue, if the thermal paste has dried then it will cause trouble but you should be able to boot before it goes tits up.

I have to give the standard answer I'm afraid...

Have you reseated all components? tried with a different CPU/RAM/HDD/GFX/PSU ? Taken out all but 1 stick of RAM (then swap them around in case one is a dud) ?
    I don't have a spare CPU/HDD/GFX/PSU but will try taking 1 RAM stick out. If I need to buy another psu how do I tell if I need a modular one or not. The things is I think I will need some adapters to go from 24pin to 20pin.

Thanks

Well it would not even post with just 1gb stick in. I have two 1gb sticks.

Thanks

Ok still got a problem Managed to get a new psu but it has not fixed the issues. In the bios on the 12v i get 5.312v. It will boot up get to the windows welcome screen and then the screen will blank, and then come back and blank again. It will then give me one beep after a short time, which according to overclockers is a refresh failure >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=11

Any ideas?? Really need some help as I have done all I can to figure this out
    Last edited by AledJ; 06-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks

Ok I have now decided to use this pc that ahs the problems as a family pc (if i get it working again). Now does anyone have any ideas on things to try, before I buy a new gfx or motherboard ?

I need a AGP gfx so looking at this, but if I need a new motherboard what should I get? I have an AMD 64 processor and not fussed on the motherboard, so long as it can run a family pc with no issues.

Thanks

Thread Information