Thread: Is my PC Dead for Good?

Thanks

Is my PC Dead for Good?

Hi Guys

Okay to get down to it I have an old Shuttle XPC.

It started playing up when I took it downstairs and I connected it to my tv via VGA. This didnt work properly and involved many system restarts and alot of messing around. Anyway now when I turn on at the plug socket everything spins up (gpu and cpu fans at maximum) but nothing happens. The system does not post!

I've tried changing the CMOS battery, unpluuging sata cables, different gpu and it still it just whirrs away untill I hold the power button and it turns off. The reset button does nothing.

Is my CMOS dead? If so can you take it out and get a new one or can it be reflashed? Do you think it might be something else?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
    Gaming PC: Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4 Ghz Stock; Shuttle SN85G4V3; Club 3D X800XT; 2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2-3-2-5; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WD Raptor 150GB; Maxtor DM10 200Gb; Pioneer DVR 110

Media PC: Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz; Shuttle SN45GV2; Geforce 2 MX; 2x256Mb OCZ PC3500 CAS2; Seagate Bararcuda 160Gb; NEC DVD

Thanks
    • mightymouse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator PC8500
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung T166 RAID0, 1 x 500GB Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Stacker 830 - nVidia
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • O2 Internet

Re: Is my PC Dead for Good?

did you try booting with only one ram? and try different slots too. Shuttles can be temperamental sometimes

Thanks
    • ehhhhhhh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 6800K@4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960Pro 512GB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D /w 240RAD
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 PRO 64Bit / Debian
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x DELL 2413

check the capacitors on the motherboard. it might be a faulty one .(sometimes only the top of them are deformed {not flat}...so it might not be really "standing out" at first sight but check them carefully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ehhhhhhh View Post
    check the capacitors on the motherboard. it might be a faulty one .(sometimes only the top of them are deformed {not flat}...so it might not be really "standing out" at first sight but check them carefully)
    Hi

Yep I checked that one and all looked okay.

I'll try the ram thing and see if that helps. I reset the cmos everytime I do something using the jumpers. Is this the right thing to do?

Cheers for your help so far!
    Gaming PC: Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4 Ghz Stock; Shuttle SN85G4V3; Club 3D X800XT; 2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2-3-2-5; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WD Raptor 150GB; Maxtor DM10 200Gb; Pioneer DVR 110

Media PC: Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz; Shuttle SN45GV2; Geforce 2 MX; 2x256Mb OCZ PC3500 CAS2; Seagate Bararcuda 160Gb; NEC DVD

Registered+
    Thanks
    • r5gtt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Vertex 2E & 2 x Spinpoint F3's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 295
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster M1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

Moving the jumper to reset the cmos is the correct way.

You say it doesn't post, Do you get anything on the screen at all?

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

Do you have a PC speaker connected? Do you get any bleeps when you turn it on?
    (\__/) All I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend. - NMA
    (='.*=)
    (")_(*)

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

bleep comes from internal speaker, not pc speakers I thought?
    And if it doesn't POST then I'd imagine no bleeps?
    Join the HEXUS Folding@home Team!!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

These are frustrating faults to fix - my money would be on the PSU or the mobo.

At power on, a timer on the board holds the reset line on the CPU active, so thyat the PC will not start until all the power lines have stabilised. At hat point the time releases the CPU reset which then starts by jumping to an offset in the BIOS. where it starts running code using base RAM The BIOS then loads various parameters stored in the CMOS, initialises RAM, hard drives, GPU cards and so on and so on and final loads the interrupt vector table with addresses for IO devices (which initially point back into the BIOS). Finally it calls the code on the master boot record of the first disk and the OS system then boots. During that process it also does the POST checks and if they fail, it exits with some form of warning.

So if you aren't getting POST, you aren't getting the code in the BIOS running - or at least not properly.

So it is unlikely that the CMOS is at fault, because even if that was clear, you would still get some output, even if you were onluy going to the set-up page.

That narrows it down to PSU - not giving the correct outputs so the CPU never starts.

Or a faulty peripheral that is preventing the PSU output from stabilising so the CPU never starts

Faulty mobo in the time circuitry area so the CPU never starts

Faulty CPU - that never starts

Faulty or corrupt BIOS so when the CPU does start, it doesn't have any valid code to execute.

Of those possibilities, I'd suggest the PSU as being the most likely (and the only one really that you can testy simply., or a faulty peripheral.

So if you can strip down the system - remove everything ferom the mobo apart from the CPU and some RAM. If you have a multimeter and can monitor the output of the PSU rai;ls when you start up, that would help.

But if not, and you get some POST beeps, then you have a working PSU, mobo, CPU and RAM. Then add the graphics card and see iof you still get a system that boots. This time you should get an output from the GPU.

However - if the system doesn't boot with the graphics card connected, it could still be the PSU because it has failed in a way that prevents it from delivering the correct output - and without some skkill, the only way to test that really is by substitution.

But I hope there is enough info there to help you to narrow down the possible causes.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Flippin Heck!!!

Thanks for the further responses! I haven't had time to try the RAM fix yet so I will do that one first. Other than that I'll have to try different techniques.

I recently bought an alienware m11-x laptop to replace it so it wasn't getting much use anyway but its still annoying. I'll let you know if anything happens.

Thanks

Just to clarify I get no beeps and nothing on the screen.

Everything starts up with fans whirring away etc.

I'll try removing the battery for a couple of days aswell. Worth a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kef9 View Post
    Hi Guys

Okay to get down to it I have an old Shuttle XPC.

It started playing up when I took it downstairs and I connected it to my tv via VGA. This didnt work properly and involved many system restarts and alot of messing around. Anyway now when I turn on at the plug socket everything spins up (gpu and cpu fans at maximum) but nothing happens. The system does not post!

I've tried changing the CMOS battery, unpluuging sata cables, different gpu and it still it just whirrs away untill I hold the power button and it turns off. The reset button does nothing.

Is my CMOS dead? If so can you take it out and get a new one or can it be reflashed? Do you think it might be something else?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
    Power supply not working well, you still get power to the boards tech.. but it dosnt have the power to give the board, test this with another psu. 95 % surew this is the case.
    Last edited by petercook7; 01-10-2010 at 06:14 PM.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

My money is on unplugging IDE devices. Worked for me once.

Thanks

Maybe an update bios is needed!

Thanks

I know its been a long time but just to give everybody an update it was the psu!!!

I tested the shuttle with a normal psu and it booted fine and eventually got my hands on a replacement shuttle psu a few weeks ago when I did the full repair. Good to give life again to an old system!

Thanks for all your responses people. Its great to have a community like this to help people out and I can not thank you enough.

Cheers!!!

Thanks

Just to add it was the 4 pin 5v connector was burnt out!

Thread Information