Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow laptop

OilSheikh

Question Slow laptop

I recently bought a DELL Inspiron 1564 with Specs
    Core i5, 3GB DDR3, WD 250GB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit.

I have uninstalled all the junk that Dell install but the laptop is still slow. Bootup takes long, you click something and ti takes time as well!

My E8500 C2D PC is faster than this!

What can I do to speed up my laptop?

Tnx

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: Slow laptop

Buy an SSD and install Win 7 from scratch.

EDIT: Or, just re-install Win 7 from scratch, get rid of all the partitions that are already on the HDD and make new ones when installing Win 7.
    Last edited by DDY; 17-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    Buy an SSD and install Win 7 from scratch.

EDIT: Or, just re-install Win 7 from scratch, get rid of all the partitions that are already on the HDD and make new ones when installing Win 7.
    Can't afford SSD

Ok, another question ... which is better for i5 - 32bit or 64bit and is 64bit one of the culprits for slowness?

Thanks

32 vs 64 shouldn't make any noticeable difference to speed, IMO just stick with 64 if you have a 64 capable CPU since there's no real reason not to unless you have a printer or something that only has 32 bit drivers. A laptop with those specs shouldn't be slow, check it's not on some CPU-throttling/battery optimised setting as some limit the max speed of the CPU but even so with a modern CPU it shouldn't slow things down that much. My guess would be there's still some remaining crapware, have a read of this: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/totw/repair.asp

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I would just format and reinstall windows.

Use a standard Windows 7 retail/oem disk (not the one provided by Dell) and the serial code should work fine. Then you've got a clean, fast installation.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

What's wrong with the Dell Win 7 CD? Apart from a few Dell logos and branding here and there it's practically the same as the standard Win 7 install CD.

Thanks
    • sadbuttrue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55 UD5
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 @ 3.8ghz + Megahalems + GT1450 @ 5v
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill ECO 4GB 1.4v
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120gb + Samsung F4 2tb in Scythe Quiet Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 @ 940/1350/1.175v + Shaman @ 20%
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • Raven RV02 with 3xPhobya G-Silent Fans @ 210rpm + Scythe S-Flex 1200 @ 5v
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2233rz, Dell 2209wa, Panasonic AX200 Projector
      • Internet:
      • BeThere 24mb

Just a thought, but I've yet to see a mechanical drive laptop run well with any antivirus app installed.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    What's wrong with the Dell Win 7 CD? Apart from a few Dell logos and branding here and there it's practically the same as the standard Win 7 install CD.
    I haven't owned a Dell Windows 7 CD - I knew that was the case with Vista, but didn't want to advise in case the situation had changed. If that's so, then fair enough. Stick with the same disk.

Thanks

I have come across many slow laptops where the HDD looks fine bad sector wise but the
    drive mechanics are slow. PC check is the only prog i know of which has a mechanics test
    which shows visually how fast its moving about. Another thing to note is its not just its
    either very fast or very slow, a decent drive should be very quick. Even if it is slow though
    PC check will still pass it unless it actually stops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadbuttrue View Post
    Just a thought, but I've yet to see a mechanical drive laptop run well with any antivirus app installed.
    That's a good point, what AV are you using?

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    That's a good point, what AV are you using?
    NOD32, I dont think AV is at fault.

Only thing that is sticking out in BIOS is Intel speedstep - should this be ON or OFF ?

Thanks

Speedstep should be on, if its slow on startup Windows could be having a problem with a device with no driver; check device manager. If it happens once Windows has started then it could be a hard drive problem, benchmark it to see if the speed is fine. You could check in task manager to see if anything is using the hard drive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    I recently bought a DELL Inspiron 1564 with Specs
    Core i5, 3GB DDR3, WD 250GB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit.

I have uninstalled all the junk that Dell install but the laptop is still slow. Bootup takes long, you click something and ti takes time as well!

My E8500 C2D PC is faster than this!

What can I do to speed up my laptop?

Tnx
    I would really look at "slow" subjectively. There could be many reasons for the periceved slowness. A PC can become slow over time due to new programs being installed, updates, virus, spyware, fragmentation, services running in the background and as well as many other factors.

I would recommend that you firstly update your antivirus software and run a full scan on your system. This although might sound mundane, can help identify if viruses are the cause. Secondly, you could defragment your hardrive - seeing as you might have installed many programs and uninstalled them over the time you have used the laptop.

The other thing I would say is I find 64bit OS excessive for computers that DO NOT have 4GB RAM. I say this because really the whole point of using a 64bit OS is so that your system can address more than 4GB ram and your system only has 3GB. So perhaps look into installing 32-bit Windows 7 instead.

You could also speed up your boot time by altering what services are loaded at startup. You can do this by going to Windows>Run and typing msconfig and selecting the services tab. Also services that aren't critical to your system can be stopped from running. If you don't have a printer, stop all the printer related services. If you don't use automatic updates, disable that service too. You can do this by right clicking your "my computer" and selecting manage and then going to services.

I am sure others will point out many different ways of speeding your computer up, however if all else fails and you still aren't happy, just system wipe and reinstall windows .

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrt9888 View Post
    Speedstep should be on, if its slow on startup Windows could be having a problem with a device with no driver; check device manager. If it happens once Windows has started then it could be a hard drive problem, benchmark it to see if the speed is fine. You could check in task manager to see if anything is using the hard drive.
    +1 for looking for bad drivers, I had a problem a while ago with incorrect drivers which caused the system to hang for a while every time I opened my computer or something. In this case it was the drivers for the JMicron SATA controller.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    The other thing I would say is I find 64bit OS excessive for computers that DO NOT have 4GB RAM. I say this because really the whole point of using a 64bit OS is so that your system can address more than 4GB ram and your system only has 3GB. So perhaps look into installing 32-bit Windows 7 instead.
    There is much more 64 bit OSes than the common knowledge they only let you use more memory. I don't see how it could be 'excessive' in any way. As I said before, 32 vs 64 bit Windows on a 64 bit capable platform should not make any noticeable difference to performance, the difference would probably be down to slight differences in drivers between the versions, for example. 32 bit is becoming a legacy platform and there are very few reasons to use it now.

Thanks

[QUOTE=watercooled;1995407
    There is much more 64 bit OSes than the common knowledge they only let you use more memory. I don't see how it could be 'excessive' in any way. As I said before, 32 vs 64 bit Windows on a 64 bit capable platform should not make any noticeable difference to performance, the difference would probably be down to slight differences in drivers between the versions, for example. 32 bit is becoming a legacy platform and there are very few reasons to use it now.[/QUOTE]

Whilst I do agree with you on the point that 64bit offers more than just memory enhancments in terms of perfomance given the OP's system spec, I cannot see 64bit Win7 being beneficial. 32bit applications run in emulation mode under 64bit hence you actually acquire a performance deficit. It all boils down to what software the OP is using, what sort of activities he carries out. I have still clung onto 32bit as I see no real gains from switching over to 64bit just yet (that is just my personal taste).

Thanks

From Wikipedia:
    Because the full 32-bit instruction set remains implemented in hardware without any intervening emulation, existing 32-bit x86 executables run with no compatibility or performance penalties,[2] although existing applications that are recoded to take advantage of new features of the processor design may see significant performance increases.
    But we are straying from the point a bit anyway, the minute differences would not be noticeable enough for the OP to create this thread; something else is causing the problem.

17. Received thanks from:

Thread Information