Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comp doesnt get past POST. 3 long beeps, pause then repeat. HELP!

Thanks

Re: Comp doesnt get past POST. 3 long beeps, pause then repeat. HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Artonox View Post
    hey, armarcus, the power supply is a coolermaster make - 600w and it costed £60 when i got it. I think its overkill for my setup (better to b too much than too little though). Anyways, now ive checked the pins on the cpu to see if its been bent for some reason. Ive disconnected all the drives, the sound card and the dvd/floppy drives.

Ive tried to turn on the comp now and now all it does is cause the fan to spin. The speaker is plugged in and it doesnt even wanna beep anymore.

ive replugged everything, from the graphics, to the led lights, speakers and fans even. All it does now when i turn on the comp, is turn everything on (fans, harddrive spins etc), but still no output, even though the graphics are spinning its fans.
    i swear, im really tempted to point at the motherboard D:
    Hmm its strange. I mean its hard to diagnose exactly whats going on sparse details. When you say you unplugge/replugged everything, did this also include any cabling - such as the power cable to your motherboard etc.

Often times the solution to the problem is far simpler than we may think, you just need to identify whats going on. As I said, there are a multitude of reasons for POST not loading or OS not booting after POST. You have identified its not the input device - PS/2 mice and keyboard with bent pins will produce beeps and fail to get past POST.

Wish I could help more but atleast its not your mouse or keyboard. I would hazard trying a different ram module next.

Registered+
    Thanks

yeah, it also means the power cable to the motherboard.
    I have since plugged the harddrives that i had into an external thing that reads it and its all ok there.
    i dont have another ram module ready to check which is a shame on my part, so im clueless to the stuff thats going on

Splash

TBH the chances of all 4 RAM modules failing in the same manner at the same time are *very* slim, hence me looking to your CPU or mobo.

Registered+
    Thanks

hey guys, just wanna post the conclusion of this problem.

I decided to go about and buy a new motherboard for the comp. Its a risk, yes, since i still havent determined whether it was the fault of the cpu or the motherboard. The ram sticks are not at fault, since i have a reliable friend who tested it for me.

Result? after i installed the new motherboard (for £40) the whole thing came alive again. This new board is technically a sidestep from my previous board since it doesnt have space for a sli config, but is able to take cpus up to am3, so i have upgrade potential there instead. Anyways, just wanna say thanks to everyone who posted here, and espec for splash, who i feel has helped me the most. thanks again!

Splash

Good to hear you got it sorted. To be honest... with the hardware you're working with I struggle to see any requirement for SLI, but horses for courses and all that

Registered+
    Thanks

Awesome, always pleased to hear about a happy ending!

Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information