Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Bios Chip

Thanks

Identifying Bios Chip

Hi group, really random question this but does anyone know where the bios chip is on a toshiba equium a210-1as notebook motherboard (i need the info printed on it but i need to identify it first). iv'e spent many hour trawling the net with no joy.. thanks for any helpfull response in advance.
    Yours Paul G...

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Re: Identifying Bios Chip

Tried anything like Belarc Advisor?
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks

CPU-Z 1.56 will tell you, http://www.filehippo.com/download_cpuz/.

Thanks

Right thanks for your posts, i'd better explain myself. the motherboard is dead. the laptop powered off halfway thru a bios update and is all but knackered.. i have found a website called biosman who will supply a preloaded bios chip but i need to find out whch chip it is on the board,i do have the equipment to desolder the chip off the board, just thought someone might have better luck than me at finding an image of the board and know which one it is,,, sorr to not have explained myself properly at first but ive done it time after time over the last few months, thanks to anyone who is still interested in my prob Paul G...

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't realise what you meant.

I took another look around and found a site that shows you how to Disassemble, repair and upgrade Toshiba laptop yourself, at http://www.irisvista.com/tech/. Unfortunately, the 2 refs to the a210 don't refer to the mobo, but there are a lot of Toshiba notebooks in that list and , I would guess, many of them use the same board so take a look.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

most BIOS's have a recovery system now. I think your laptop uses a Phoenix BIOS so you should be able to recovery it with Phoenix crisis recovery.

Thanks

OMG thanks for the reply guys, sorry ive not been back recently ,its something i keep coming back to when i have the time.. errm vinny i havent looked at that link you sent yet (only just read the posts) bul i will defo look tomoz, i know the board seems a bit of an odd one cause the guy that sells the bios chips said more or less the same as you (that it was difficult to track down)..ill be back on the case tomoz thanks Paul...Sputnik thanks for your reply too. . .errm a "recovery system"? right i'm hoping you know something i haven't tried yet . . the laptop died in mid flow of a bios update but left the laptop without any options or key switches to use for a new bios flash. . .when turned on it gives a black screen and a power light saying its plugged in, nothing else! i have scowered the net for months and been told of key presses and secret key combinations that should take me into a crisis recovery state but none worked, most answers were take it to a toshiba service center, they can do it, 1. i don't think its worth payng nearly £200 for repairing it when it cost £400 new 2 yrs ago (approx) and 2. if they can do it why can't i.!! i'm sorry if it feels like i'm having a go at you, i'm not honestly it's just Arrrrgh!! soddin servis centers. . . i would really appreciate any info you have on recovering it, thanks guys Paul G....

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    if they can do it why can't i.!!
    You should be able to, What you need is......
    • A USB floppy drive.
    • Pheonix crisis recovery program.
    • The BIOS file for your machine.

Format a floppy with FAT and put the Crisis recovery program on it, Then Add your BIOS file to the disk. Delete the BIOS.wph file on the floppy and then rename your BIOS file to BIOS.wph.

Disconnect the Power supply and battery from the laptop, Now put the floppy into the USB floppy drive and plug into the USB on the laptop, hold down the windows key and 'B' key on the laptop and while holding them down plug in the power supply to the laptop power socket and press the power button on the laptop. when the floppy light starts flashing release the keys and let it continue to do the BIOS flash. wait at least 6 minutes after the floppy light stops flashing and then unplug the power lead and then plug it back in again.

If it does not work with the Windows key & B key try it with the Function key and B key.

Thanks

Hi! Paul and Sputnik and all!

I have the exace smae problem was flashing the BIOS from Toshiba' site same laptop and half way through it died! Now turns on with a black screen but with power light etc. I read the last post and wondered if Paul has managed to fix it and where do you get the bios file from?

Thanks,

Ray

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by ray1000_2 View Post

where do you get the bios file from?
    From the Toshiba website.

Thanks

Sorry ive only just got back to this forum, i know its sad i have to do it on chrismas day but im going to try and do it before the kids get here this afternoon (laptops still in bits from looking for the bios chip lol, im quite excited at the fact the information Vinny & Sputnic have supplied may just work Thanks guys! i'll let you know how i get on very much appreciated. So you might have guessed by this post that i havent repaired it yet but but todays the day, fingers crossed Thanks again Yours Paul G...

Thanks

You're welcome, have a merry Christmas.

Thanks

Hi Sputnik, Vinny & Group,
    I got the laptop back together over christmas, bought a brand new flashdrive, copied the files to it (for some reason only fn & f would bring the flashdrive into life) but all it did was flash 4 times then pause with light on for 30 secs then continue like that in a loop for hours. . . .so..
    I ordered a usb floppy drive, went to copy the flash files over to a floppy disk to be told the files were too large. . .so when i checked the bios.wph file (which i had renamed) it was 1.56mb. . . .Any ideas please, is it possible there are floppy disks larger than 1.44mb. . .sorry to be a pain, but i think thanks to you, if i can get the files on a floppy it'll work, Thanks Paul G...

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

The BIOS file in the BIOS package is only 1MB so the total of all the needed files should just squeeze onto a floppy.

Thanks

Hmmm...the only 2 bios files i can find 4 mine are windows based exe files and are 1.5mb and 1.6mb (64 bit and 32 bit), i can't seem to find a rom file to put on a floppy and flash eeprom on Toshibas support page.
    Think i'll sift thru the archives section again, Thanks Guys anyway,
    Yours Paul G...

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Hmmm...the only 2 bios files i can find 4 mine are windows based exe files and are 1.5mb and 1.6mb (64 bit and 32 bit), i can't seem to find a rom file to put on a floppy and flash eeprom on Toshibas support page.
    Think i'll sift thru the archives section again, Thanks Guys anyway,
    Yours Paul G...
    You can extract it from them Installer packages. If your really stuck PM me your email address and I'll do it for you and email it to you.

Thread Information