• Corsair CX750
      • Case:
      • Lancool PC-K62 Mid tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM LCD

Problem since flashing Mobo Bios

I recently flashed my Gigabyte X58A UD3R motherboard from version F5 to F6. Well, straight after windows booted, sound was only coming out from one speaker. The noise that windows makes when you log in was only coming out of one speaker. If I was to go on Windows Media Player and listen to some music, the sound would only come out of one speaker. There is a way that I can make both speakers work. The way I do this is go to control panel and click on hardware and sound and click Realtek HD Sound Manager. From there, there is a play button you press in order for the speakers to make a noise. It's some sort of test. Both speakers had noise come out of them. From there, if I was to go to Windows Media Player or youtube, sound would come out of both speakers. From here, sound will continue to come out of both speakers until I either turn off and restart the system. I tried out all the sound drivers available to me, however the problem is still there.

I must stress that this problem never happened under the F5 version of the bios. I haven't read anything on the internet about this bios version causing problems with sound. There is a beta bios out right now F7g, but I'd rather wait until it's officially out.

When I did flash the bios, all I changed in the bios settings was the quick boot option and change the RAM frequency to 1600Hz.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to fix this problem??

blueball

Re: Problem since flashing Mobo Bios

Try reinstalling the realtek software or see if there is a newer version.

If not fixed then apply defaults to your bios and then setup the various entries again. You might want to take a note of the various settings before you do this.

Alternatively, revert back to F5 if the MB allows?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

What problem were you trying to fix by flashing the bios with the newer version, and did it fix it?

The BIOS operates on on so many systems (particularly integrated sound/graphics cards that it is possible that the Realtek drivers you have installed are incompatible with the new BIOS, especially if that is all you changed. That said, many drivers over write the interrupt vectors set up by the BIOS to point to their own routines, bypassing the BIOS routines completely after boot , but without an in depth knowledge of what is going on, it is difficult to be certain.

If the problem the upgrade fixed is essential, you have little option but to try to obtain updated drivers for the sound system. However, if the sound is more important, the easiest solution is to re-flash the BIOS back to the previous version. If nothing else, it will help you to determine if the re-flash really is responsible (if the problem goes away) or not (if it persists).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • adamsonm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GBYTE GA-X58A UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel Corei7 920
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon Hd 6850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750
      • Case:
      • Lancool PC-K62 Mid tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM LCD

I flashed the bios to try and fix this ati grey screen of death. However, I still had the problem after I flashed the bios. So, Now I just reinstalled windows 7 64 bit.

My plan now is not to install all programs all at once because to be honest, this ati screen crash is driving me crazy! I want to see if the problem is caused by bad drivers. I havent even installed any drivers for the graphics card, and so far no screen crashes!!!!!

Going back to the speakers, after I reinstalled windows with all gigabyte's latest drivers, the speakers seem to be fine, meaning they both output sound when windows logs in. I go the windows media player straight away and play some music, and again, both speakers produce the same level of sound. So, it seems that the speaker problem is fixed. I will update this topic in a couple of days to let you guys know if this is a reliable fix! Thanks for your quick responses!!!

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

It is always advised to clear the CMOS memory after upgrading the BIOS. But do make sure the PC is unplugged when you move the jumper and it is in the operating Position before plugging the PC in again.

Thread Information