Thread: Laptop not shutting down at all

Thanks

Laptop not shutting down at all

Had to install a bluetooth device for my farther to be able to use a hearing aid device for his patients, and got it all installed finally. Thing was the old bluetooth device would not work properly, and after installing it would ask to reboot which I did. But on a few occasions it would shut down and hang on a black background with only the white cursor. This meant I had to hold the power button to shut it down.

So after finally getting the new bluetooth device to work I shut the laptop down. Returned after 5 min and there was a black screen with the white cursor. So I have no idea why it will not shut down seems as if its hanging at the last bit.

On the Saturday when i tried to get the old bluetooth device to work had hold the power button once or twice as it would not reboot, but it did shut down properly on the saturday night. It was just last night when the shut down issue occurred.

Anything that can be done so that it will shut down?

Running xp, with sp3

blueball

Re: Laptop not shutting down at all

Have you uninstalled all traces of the old device?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Have you uninstalled all traces of the old device?
    As far as I know yes (via add/remove) While trying to get this old bluetooth to work I installed/uninstalled the drives a few times, but it shut down ok on saturday night.

blueball

Things to try (that you may already have tried):

Reinstall Bluetooth
    Try and find updated drivers for the new device.

Thanks

Things to try (that you may already have tried):

Reinstall Bluetooth
    Try and find updated drivers for the new device.
    The new bluetooth dongle thing was reinstalled twice as it was not connecting the hearing aid equipment, but i just had not set something in the aid software. The driver were from a cd and there don't seem to be any new ones.

Would removing the bluetooth dongle help at all?

Thanks

Would using sleep or hibernation mode be an idea until the laptop cna eb fixed? Which one is better to use sleep or hibernation? And any idea if we use sleep or hibernation which button to press to wake the laptop up?

Thanks

One more thing when the laptop is then switched on in the morning, there is no check disk thing to repair stuff or anything saying windows was not shut down properly.

blueball

Hibernation will use less battery power than sleep so would be the better option. Depending on how the laptop is setup simply opening the lid may be sufficient to turn it on. If not then use the power button.

Thanks

Hibernation will use less battery power than sleep so would be the better option. Depending on how the laptop is setup simply opening the lid may be sufficient to turn it on. If not then use the power button.
    Ok thanks! Still cant figure out what has caused this. I do remember an icon saying there were some updated to be installed, and then where the shut down option is there was one saying install updates next to it. The icon has now gone so i assume the updates were never downloaded. No programs are open when its shut down either.

Thanks

Just un-installed the belkin bluetooth to see if it was causing the problem, and it seems it was as the laptop shut with no issue. Then looked to see if there was an updated driver for it, but had to register the device with belkin. So instead I installed it again to see if it would play ball. So got it installed again then shut the laptop down, and it did shut down no problem. So booted the laptop back up, and set it up to link with this other device. I then decided to shut it down again to test it, and the issue comes back. Now why did it shut down ok just after installing the belkin device, and then a while after decide not to?

Thread Information