• Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

Damage to Computer by DHL!

Hey Folks!

So, I've recently started a PhD at Cambridge University and as I simply can't live without my computer (it's not just my entertainment hub but also where I would be doing much of my research work) I decided to have it couried across from my home near Bristol.

Paranoid of it being rattled around during transit, I surrounded the computer tower in 3/4 layers of bubble wrap and then packed it firmly in what I thought was a strong corrugated cardboard box. However, much to my despair, that did not protect it from the trials DHL put it through during transit.

When I began to unload the computer from it's packaging it was obvious that something was loose inside the case. Unravelling the bubble wrap revealed that the plastic window on the side of the case (I have the ANTEC 1200 case) had recieved a substainal blow and was cracked from one side to the centre. Several of the screws holding it in place had been ripped off and I later retrieved them from the case. The edge of the case closest to the window was also buckled inwards.

Worse still, whatever blow the case recieved also dislodged the CPU cooler (The tuniq tower) and I found this lying at an angle on top of the graphics card. A few of the fins on the cooler had been completely bent over.

I managed to find the parts of the metal clip that held the cooler in place and reattached it, bent the case back into shape and after carefully checking all of the cable attachments inside, booted up the computer. It posted, got to the windows loading screen and then the screen went black. I switched off and restarted. This time the computer seemed to boot ok - I got into windows and was able to register for my internet connection in my accommodation, though at that point I had to switch off and attend my afternoon lectures.

When I returned, I booted up again and everything seemed fine until the computer hanged on the Windows 7 loading screen (the glowing Windows logo.) After a few minutes the blue screen of death popped up and the computer restarted.

Since then, although the computer appears to start up ok (no warning beeps from the motherboard, hdd's appear to be spinning up/loading as usual etc.) there is no signal to the monitor.

It is my suspicion that the Graphics Card has been damaged. There's no obvious damage to it on the outside; no cracks to the plastic or scraps, but it would explain why the monitor is not recieving a signal (I had the same problem when my HD4870X2 went south last year - computer booted up as normal, no signal to monitor.)

With the tower having taken such a hit though, I guess any number of things could be the cause of the problem, hence why I decided to post here and consult the awesome wisdom of the Hexus community. I've contacted DHL and they have put in a ticket with their claims department who will be getting in touch with me shortly. Hopefully, if we can come with a diagnosis, I'll know what to ask them to replace (whether they will or not is another matter.....)

With many thanks for your replies in advance,

Kirano

Thanks

Re: Damage to Computer by DHL!

Did you have insurence?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I'd put together a quote for a whole system replacement, or pay up front for a diagnostics and get a repair + labour quote which you can then claim back. I wouldn't want something else to go further down the line due to third party damage that you just failed to discover straight after the incident.

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by Kirano View Post
    Paranoid of it being rattled around during transit, I surrounded the computer tower in 3/4 layers of bubble wrap and then packed it firmly in what I thought was a strong corrugated cardboard box.
    You didn't package it well enough at all. Generally, anything given to couriers must be able to comfortably withstand being pushed off the back of a truck onto concrete, dropped off a conveyor belt from a few meters or more off the ground, and finally kicked by a couple of people to get it further in to, or evacuating from, a HGV.

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung F1, 500Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

@razer121 - Rather foolishly I didn't take out insurance with DHL themselves (I used the quick booking online which didn't allow for insurance to be added on.) However, I do have seperate insurance on the computer. I've checked the terms and it doesn't cover damage due to insufficient packaging when being couried but I would have thought my sturdy box and multiple layers of bubble wrap would have covered that I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and find out!

@Kalniel - I think that sounds like the safest option. What would I do if some components aren't widely distributed anymore though? For instance, the XFX 5870 I have doesn't come up on Overclockers, Ebuyer or Scan (the three main places I shop for technical stuff) and only Scan has any 5870's in at all!

Thanks
    • 3DWizard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nforce 790i Ultra
      • CPU:
      • QX9770
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb OCZ
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 500Gb Sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x XFX 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 1250 Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos RC1000
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30 Inch

Hi Kirano, it's probably just a case of trying your best to find what the current prices are for the parts within the system. Have a gander through various retailers/resellers as well as forums just to try and find the current market values. Not a nice story to hear, hope you get it sorted.

Thread Information