Thread: Monitor not diplaying anything

Thanks

Monitor not diplaying anything

Hi, got a problem with my PC.

I turned the computer on but the monitor was recieving no signal (the screen was blank and its LED was yellow not green). I presumed it was a loose connection and checked all the cables but they are all firmly connected. I noticed that the light on the power button was flashing and that the harddisk indicator was permanently lit. After a five minute wait with no change i used the reset button, again the monitor recieved no signal but this time the light on the power button remained on but did not flash. I also noticed that the keyboard lights such as the capslock indicator were not coming on when i pressed the relevant button. It seems like the computer is stuck in a sleep mode or something.

The last time the machine was used before this incident it was connected to the internet for the first time in approximately six months, my virus software had not been updated nor has the operating system. Is it possible something could have been downloaded that has caused this problem?

cheers

Registered+
    Thanks
    It is possible that is a virus, especially as you did nothing that could have damaged the hardware. However - one other thing that may be causing this is a failed power supply. It may be that the computer is no longer getting enough power to run the graphics card properly. You could try removing any PCI cards and extra fans (appart from the CPU fan obviously) to see if that allows the PSU to provide more power to the graphics card. But there's no guarantees...how old is the PSU and is it branded?

Also, did you download anything whilst on the internet before hand? Or click yes to any of those warning prompts?

Thanks
    Id say the chances of it being a BIOS destryoing virus arnt too high, unless you already have suspicions about this.
    Have you moved the machine at all ?

Check for loose IDE cables and that the memory is in correctly. Infact, have you messed around inside the machine before it stopped working ?
    If not, and somthing hasnt come loose, it'll probably be hardware failure of some kind. Memory is a common one, and check the PSU (Hope its a good make / branded one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    The machine hasn't been messed around with at all inside, in fact i don't think the case has ever even been opened on this one. But yes, it was moved recently, as it was brought home from university recently, however it has booted up fine once (but only once) since then.

So it's not likely to be a virus then?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well I still think its most likely a PSU problem.

Another thing that can cause ýour problem is if the CPU is dead or if clock frequencies/memory timings are wrongly set. You might want to try reseting the CMOS by removing the mobo battery...although its hard to see how this could be the case if you haven't messed around with it.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Does the computer give you the single POST beep? Is there no BEEP? (Do you have the system speaker attached, check this first ) Or is the beep different to usual? If you do have a working speaker, you should be able to rule out a few things. I mean, if there is no continual series of beeps, it's not your memory, if you don't hear a long beep, its not your graphics card. Reset your CMOS (check your motherboard manual, usually involves moving a jumper then moving it back). If that dont work tell us.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    OK, i tried removing all PCI cards as suggested earlier, the only card other than the graphics card being the modem, and it started working. Put the modem back in and it stopped working, took it out and started again.

So does this mean its a power problem then..?

Thanks
    I dont think it is, i just think your modem is very dodgy.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well you still can't be 100% sure, but that is the most likely cause of the problem, yes.

Registered+
    Thanks
    but if the modem was dodgy, why would that prevent it from booting up? Surely if there was a problem with the modem, either the modem wouldn't be detected by windows anymore, or it would have fried his mobo by now...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hwAnalyst
    but if the modem was dodgy, why would that prevent it from booting up? Surely if there was a problem with the modem, either the modem wouldn't be detected by windows anymore, or it would have fried his mobo by now...
    Try the modem in another machine. The only sure way to find out.

Thread Information