Thread: Access data on Intel RAID without Intel chipset (Software RAID)

Registered+
    Thanks

Access data on Intel RAID without Intel chipset (Software RAID)

Hey, I was just wondering if there is any way to access some RAID 5 data that was stored on a RAID array created with the Intel Option ROM via an AMD system which, of course, doesn't have the Intel chipset via mdadm with only 2/3 drives? You see, my southbridge from my old Asus motherboard is missing a chunk out of it and the motherboard is a bit outdated anyway. So buying an outdated board just to access the data seems a bit out of the question. So, I'm trying to connect the two drives via USB adapters (registered as /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc), but the mdadm won't find the metadata for the array.
    It comes back as "Not an md array" on both drives when I attempt to assemble them. So, it's not even finding the Intel superblock data. However, Ubuntu, via disks, recognizes the disks as being Intel RAID drives. I've been told that it's possible to access the data, but I won't be able to rebuild the array (which I don't need to do as I have all three disks semi-okay). What do I need to do to get software RAID working and recognizing these Intel RAID drives outside of getting a new and expensive motherboard I don't otherwise need?

Thanks!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Access data on Intel RAID without Intel chipset (Software RAID)

If it was RAID 1 it would work, otherwise, not a chance unless you can find a peice of software to do it for you from raw disks.

I did have a good peice of recovery software installed (although cannot remember the name) which might do it....it did a lot of things including linux ZFS raidsets....will have to dig through my software library to find the name of it though.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

The only software I've seen that can come close to getting things like this working again is @Active Undelete.
    You can get it to find arrays and recover from them, but I've only ever done it within a new Intel based RAID setup (swapping motherboards to another Intel chipset).

I've never seen a recovery done easily through not using the Intel OROM.
    Last edited by Agent; 26-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks

DiskInternals RAID Recovery appears to do the trick. Although I had to manually add the drives to the array and choose the parameters, it does appear to be recovering data. Though, I would have been happier if it had managed to find the partitions straight off the bat without having to do a sector-by-sector search.

5. Received thanks from:

Agent (27-06-2013)

Thread Information