Thread: Replacing the DVD Drive with SSD in Laptop + Battary!

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Replacing the DVD Drive with SSD in Laptop + Battary!

I have a Satellite Pro P300-1AY, part number PSPCDE-00J005EN and would like to replace the DVD burner with an SSD drive, but I can't find out what size fits it? Looking at the manuals or googling, nothing comes up and the DVD burner doesn't seem to be like your normal drive.

Also I need to change the battary on it, does anyone know of any decent places to buy battaries please? I found one on eBay selling for £32 but is there anywhere cheaper or better please?

blueball

Re: Replacing the DVD Drive with SSD in Laptop + Battary!

Firstly you would need to get an adapter to fit the SSD into as the shape of the DVD drive and the SSD are completely different. I don't know if you can get an adapter for that model.

As to a replacement battery thats not a bad price.

Registered+
    Thanks

Beware ebay for batteries. Generally speaking its ok but I know of a couple of instances where the capacity of the replacement is far lower than the original. Also sometimes on non genuine parts the fit can be a little loose.

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I got my new battery at the above link and it's working good so far.

I charged and discharged it about 5 times and I noticed right away it was acting a lot better after doing this a few times.

I haven't tested it at full performance yet, but I was using it on power saving mode and playing Rewrite (Visual Novel) for about an hour and it still said it had a lifespan of one hour and 48 minutes to go. Pretty happy with that.

Need to test some videos on it and see how long it lasts, my original battary was good for a movie or two on power saving mode.

I still can't work out what adapter I need to replace my DVD tray with but my laptop has a spare HDD slot (I forgot this) so I don't need to replace it so soon now.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Provided your machine is compatible regular non proprietary SATA drives, installing a 2.5" drive in place of an optical drive is trivial, they're called many things but as a suggestion you can search for "2.5 optical caddy" on the internet to find what you're looking for.

The two things to look out for when buying one of those caddies are fascia and height; find a caddy with a fascia which matches the finish of your machine and most importantly find one with the correct right height, there are two sizes; 9.5mm (slim) and 12.7mm (standard). You could measure the 'thickness' of your existing optical disk drive to find out which size you need.
    Last edited by DDY; 24-10-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information